At It Again

duckduck84

Good luck! I went tonight and it was quiet at our place. I'm gonna a take a break for a couple weeks I think.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I haven't been out since Thanksgiving...half the family has been pretty bad sick, and I just can't see spending that time in the woods when I'm off work. That being said, I pray they and the wife will be able to sleep tonight since I'm off tomorrow :tu: I've got a new stand sight I'd like to try in the morning!

Mike Belt

I saw a couple of bucks but no shooters. I did finally see enough does to make me feel justified in taking a couple. The first was about 9:30. She was 165 yards out and when I fired she took off like she wasn't hit. I was kicking myself and thinking maybe I'd bumped my scope because it was dead on prior to opener. Oh well, I guess it happens. The second group showed up about 1/2 hour later 95 yards out. I picked out the biggest one and let her rip. Dang deer just stood there for a few seconds before taking off. Now I really thought my scope was off. I finally climbed down and went to take a look. The first one went about 40 yards into a heavy native grass field before piling up. The second went about the same distance only the opposite direction and she piled up. Relief! I knew I shouldn't have missed either one of those deer. You could have put both their hearts together and you still wouldn't have made a whole heart. I likes that, lol. Both were 3.5 years old. One dressed 99 pounds and the other 89 pounds.

duckduck84

Mike Belt":2t9snyxz said:
I saw a couple of bucks but no shooters. I did finally see enough does to make me feel justified in taking a couple. The first was about 9:30. She was 165 yards out and when I fired she took off like she wasn't hit. I was kicking myself and thinking maybe I'd bumped my scope because it was dead on prior to opener. Oh well, I guess it happens. The second group showed up about 1/2 hour later 95 yards out. I picked out the biggest one and let her rip. Dang deer just stood there for a few seconds before taking off. Now I really thought my scope was off. I finally climbed down and went to take a look. The first one went about 40 yards into a heavy native grass field before piling up. The second went about the same distance only the opposite direction and she piled up. Relief! I knew I shouldn't have missed either one of those deer. You could have put both their hearts together and you still wouldn't have made a whole heart. I likes that, lol. Both were 3.5 years old. One dressed 99 pounds and the other 89 pounds.
Good deal, congrats sir!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Mike Belt

This morning I'm going to try an area I haven't hunted but once in the last couple of years. I don't know if or how much it's been pressured thus far but I've seen several nice bucks there in the past. It's a strip of timber that adjoins a safety zone and feeds into a thicker area. The bucks like to cruise through it and I've seen several chases there. I'll be sitting on the SW corner waiting. Sure would like to see something resembling the rut. Maybe....

Mike Belt

1 buck, 3 does, and 3 dogs. I was hunting a strip of timber between 2 grass fields. The 3 dogs came down that strip and straight to my stand. I didn't walk in that way and I was downwind of them so I don't know why they came straight to me. I left my gloves laying at the base of the tree. One of the dogs picked one up and was carrying it away before I hollered to stop him. He dropped it and they left. I seldom ever have any run ins with dogs while hunting. I guess I was due.

Latest posts