asian carp

Headhunter

Anyone seeing them, issues with them, etc. please let me know. I was contacted and have a friend who is going to the state legislature to try to get something done.

WTM

ive got some video of this years spawned carp if you need it. there wasnt a spot from jville bridge to almost danville, on both sides of the lake, that they werent. they were pretty thick. a lot looked like last years spawn, maybe 3-5 lbs a piece and found some that were 3-5".

WTM

here a couple of screen shots taken from the videos. both are small young carp.

Attachments

• 86F37A54-91D7-454A-8F90-9EAFCDF5CDA0.jpeg
    86F37A54-91D7-454A-8F90-9EAFCDF5CDA0.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,446
  • D4DFEA70-0D47-45E6-8828-01CFEA501EAB.jpeg
    D4DFEA70-0D47-45E6-8828-01CFEA501EAB.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,447

WTM

NumberOne":2y8knpvq said:
Eww. Thats not good. Too bad they grow too fast to be forage for other species.

they will feed on them, especially gar and blue cats, which have been found to take on adult silver carp. bass seem to feed on big head more than silvers, according to research. but there are way too many carp.

tnanh

Headhunter":1g67umv1 said:
Anyone seeing them, issues with them, etc. please let me know. I was contacted and have a friend who is going to the state legislature to try to get something done.
They are thick in all the creeks around Perryville. Juveniles to full grown ones

catman529

I haven't had any issues with them yet, but have seen a few carcasses on the Cumberland river where I assume people caught or shot them. Also TWRA has shocked up a few in the duck river as far upstream as the Milltown dam in Marshall county, but they can't verify that they are reproducing up that far because they need more open flowing water for the eggs to hatch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WTM

catman529":2g7arsdx said:
I haven't had any issues with them yet, but have seen a few carcasses on the Cumberland river where I assume people caught or shot them. Also TWRA has shocked up a few in the duck river as far upstream as the Milltown dam in Marshall county, but they can't verify that they are reproducing up that far because they need more open flowing water for the eggs to hatch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

discoveries in the last few years have concluded that silver carp do not need the current nor the size of a watershed they once thought. case study was the wabash river, about the same size and current flow as the duck river.

TRIGGER

I was running probably 30 mph in the middle of standing rock (probably 16-20' of water) last Saturday night and had one come over the trolling motor and just missed the ole lady by a few inches. We wear helmets at night just to keep the bugs off, that's the first thing that went through my mind when I saw the flash. On a side note the helmets are awesome at night. She had a bat smack her last year if she wouldn't have had the helmet on it could have been bad.

WTM

TRIGGER":g05ak7e0 said:
I was running probably 30 mph in the middle of standing rock (probably 16-20' of water) last Saturday night and had one come over the trolling motor and just missed the ole lady by a few inches. We wear helmets at night just to keep the bugs off, that's the first thing that went through my mind when I saw the flash. On a side note the helmets are awesome at night. She had a bat smack her last year if she wouldn't have had the helmet on it could have been bad.

did you see any up shallow?

TRIGGER

WTM":5tj2r0ep said:
TRIGGER":5tj2r0ep said:

did you see any up shallow?

Yes.It seams like there everywhere at night. Definitely more noticeable at night. When the water is like glass and no noises you can hear them jump all the way across the lake when something spooks them.

Latest posts