Asian Carp Update

rsimms

Attachments

• asian_carp3.jpg
    asian_carp3.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 497

waynesworld

you know one thing that the article doesn't say that we can do is to kill any carp we catch. I know when I lived up in MN it was told us to kill all carp caught. Is there any harm to killing them?

rsimms

waynesworld":gftabey1 said:
you know one thing that the article doesn't say that we can do is to kill any carp we catch. I know when I lived up in MN it was told us to kill all carp caught. Is there any harm to killing them?

None at all. As noted, they're encouraging bowfishing for them.

I think they noted just keeping small ones because it's a pain to try and keep/freeze the big ones.

WTM

rsimms":2egyceru said:
waynesworld":2egyceru said:

None at all. As noted, they're encouraging bowfishing for them.

I think they noted just keeping small ones because it's a pain to try and keep/freeze the big ones.

they want any carp in east tn or other waters where they arent known yet. carp 9" or less in established waters. those small fish indicate a successful spawn and they are trying to track them.

they had a successfull haul this last winter with the unified method. they averaged almost 70,000 pounds in 48 hrs with very few game fish caught(released).

my experience with them on ky lake is more of a nuisance than anything.

Spurhunter

Welcome to our world. The Mississippi River used to be a world class bass fishery. (Look up the FLW events held out of Memphis in 1999 and 2001. The videos are online.) Now all my favorite MS River oxbow honey holes are not even worth fishing. They ruined our fisheries 15 or so years ago. We sounded the alarm, but nobody seemed to care. I don't know how they will ever be eradicated, but you can't kill them out. You can't bowfish them out. You can't net them out. They reproduce like nothing you've ever seen. The only solution I see is biologists coming up with a disease that only affects them, which they've been working on for while.

HatchieLuvr

The Australian govt has come up with a herpes virus variant that has only shown lethal to a native variant of carp "down under". Lastyear the govt was going to introduce the virus in a majority of the waterways down there but was sued by environmentalist to stop the program. Surely if something like that worked over here, it would at least be tested and examples of such would be available online? But I've yet to see or hear of such tests anywhere here stateside...

cmn

They have studied the virus....will kill the native carp but so far need to develop a strain for the invasive species. Much money going into that research at the moment

Latest posts