Arkansas proposes rule on WMA duck hunting for OOSERs

UpperTully

Under the proposed regulation, non-resident duck hunters will still be required to buy a non-resident WMA waterfowl hunting permit. Parker said there will be no cap on how many permits they can buy, enabling them to hunt multiple WMAs if they choose.

However, the proposed regulation will establish certain days when non-residents may hunt on WMAs. They will be allowed to hunt a total of 30 days, from Nov. 17-25 during the first segment of duck season, Dec. 26-Jan. 6, 2019, during the second segment, and Jan. 19-27 during the third segment.

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2018/aug/17/agfc-poses-wma-duck-hunting-rule-201808/

Grnwing

I just sent an email to Andrew Parker and the Chairman of the commission after responding to the survey. I get the sense that they don't want anyone from out of state hunting on state land during their duck season. I believe the changes revolves around Bayou Meto and Black River but would impact a majority of the Delta WMA's They have the wrong approach to managing pressure. It is a supply and demand issue. A drought year will have no demand on those WMA's and it will reduce their operating budget along with forcing NR to hunt over the prime days of the season, further upsetting the residents. I understand they are trying to limit pressure by cutting license sales/revenue and forcing dates but that isn't going to end well for either resident or nonresidents. The AGFC needs to acquire more land to meet the demand. They tried adjusting the regs to band spinning wing decoys and imposing shell limits and reducing bag limits from 4 to 3(both changed back this year) all to deal with the pressure caused by both resident and nonresidents. Now they think by eliminating half the days for nonresidents will solve the problem.

Crappie Hunter

In my opinion, they are doing more than a few things wrong.
They don't allow hunters into the woods until a certain time. So all the hunters are gathered at the ramp, boats running until it is legal to go.
They call it the boat races. Most dangerous thing you can be involved in in duck hunting if you ask me. As if it wasnt dangerous enough running through the woods before daylight. It is definitely a deterrant for anyone who takes dying in a boating accident in the middle of winter seriously. I'm just not sure how any gamewarden could sit and watch it and think "yep we got this one right"

Andy S.

Crappie Hunter":3f16ip58 said:
I'm just not sure how any gamewarden could sit and watch it and think "yep we got this one right"
Field working game wardens probably have little to no influence on new regulations such as this. They just have to play the cards they are dealt by their superiors and the Commission, and we all know how that plan works here in TN. :roll:

Cache

2-Step Enabled
Glad I don't have to deal with this sort of stuff. Didn't they change something last year as well?
When I hunted public OOSER's were not the problem, it was residents who hunt "pappy's" hole that think they own the wma. I could see the weeks shifting next year as those 3 weeks are typically good weeks to hunt and residents are not going to be happy sharing the woods on the opener and closer.

Grnwing

I think you are spot on with it stemming from the residents deep heritage and not wanting to share "pappys" hole with anyone. I love hunting public land and don't mind having to go to a plan b,c and sometimes d spot but hunting flooded timber is such a unique experience that every duck hunter should get to experience it at least once in their life. Unfortunately, the current path is looking like those opportunities will be reduced and that is a loss for anyone who hunts.

UpperTully

If these states want to restrict non-residents, that's their choice. As a result think Washington should restrict federal funding to these agencies and those WMA's where federal funds are being used.

Harold Money jr

Like how you think UpperTully, if they want restrict access by others in these United States of America, then their federal funding or matching dollars should be cut to the same percentage. In this case 50%.

UpperTully

It's a legit complaint in my opinion. I know on the Fire Dept, we have to meet certain requirements to receive federal funding/grants. Arkansas should to have to follow guidelines as a service to all waterfowl hunters resident and nonresident. Arkansas residents aren't toting all of the bill over there either. We all pay into and their pitiful poverty stricken economy.

I found AGFC's budget information. If they lost federal funding it would cost them 34.9 million a year. Take that away and I bet those cry babies in Arkansas wouldn't know what hit them.

Maybe this is worthy of contacting your congressman and bringing to Their attention. I'd contact mine but he's to worried about bashing Trump and making hisself look like an idiot. I doubt he wouldn't take a second to even look into it.

On a more comical note, those idiots are to dumb to realize their proposed restrictions will hurt them in the long run yet non-residents can still enjoy duck hunting over there anytime they want. As for me, I'll sitting on that Arkansas shore of the Mississippi River busting ducks with my Tennessee license and there's nothing they can do about it.

MickThompson

If you want to take their funding, don't buy a license over there. Available funds are based off license sales and states must have no federal match dollars to use it. I don't want to give a legislator the idea to touch PR money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harold Money jr

Preservation, hunting is preservation as well. It's us hunters who fund the programs that provide the money both FEDERAL and state to buy and manage lands for game species as well as nongame species. We also fund the hundreds of waterfowl resting areas. You don't hear us waterfowl complaining too much about paying more as nonresidents compared to residents. I do have a problem with keeping half the season off limits to out of staters. For the record I do not anticipate it will effect me and mine. It's the principle.

Crappie Hunter

Andy S., Understood and agree.
But one would think that the wardens in the field would be able to escalate something this unsafe to the superiors and the commissioners to have a change made.
Lots of things "look good on paper" that just dont work in reality,

Latest posts