Arkansas opener

Cache

2-Step Enabled
Anyone else headed over for the weekend?
Got everything mostly packed and ready to roll out about noon tomorrow. Not many things I look forward to more. Good luck to everyone this season!

JBell

We made the trip. Saw someone get greedy and try to leave 15 minutes to early. Then karma stepped in

Attachments

• EC160A84-1E89-4709-AD7E-BB98ECB80B65.jpeg
    EC160A84-1E89-4709-AD7E-BB98ECB80B65.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 347

JBell

Yea. We got to the mouth of the creek 10 minutes before we could legally enter the NWr. The guys sitting there said it happened about 5 minutes before we got there. Said 10-12 boats took off. It was in the first bend. Don't know if he got swamped or hit that log.

Displaced_Vol

How was the hunting? Like I said I've never been but I can only assume public is a 3 ring circus particularly on opening day.

Don'tDrinkTinks

We killed 6 mallards outside of Jericho. Should have shot at a couple other groups but they bugged out at the last second.

Saw way more flying than we thought we would have. Going back in the morning and not waiting for them to land in the hole before we shoot.

Displaced_Vol

Good luck Tinks & everybody else. Seeing any mallards or mostly early ducks?
Share some pics. It's hot, dry & duckless around my part of the world. I don't even know if going to try on Thursday

Cache

2-Step Enabled
Limits both days for 4 of us. 90 percent grey ducks, few mallards and a couple teal. Weather couldn't have been any worse. Cloudy, no wind, and pouring this morning. Our oxbow is also covered in duck weed to make things even harder. Thank god we had a mallard machine and boat to keep it semi open.
Saw a good bit of ducks but not like the past few openers.

Displaced_Vol

Good job Cache. I didn't think things were looking too good weather wise but pretty good you all still worked out limits. The DU podcast did an AR preview and they seemed to say there were lots of specks down there already.

TAFKAP

Wow, I saw a video from Big Lake, and it looked like one dude ramped up the stern of one boat and crushed the driver.

My brother was around Harrisburg, and said the only thing flying there was mosquitoes.

Cache

2-Step Enabled
We made the trip. Saw someone get greedy and try to leave 15 minutes to early. Then karma stepped in
I'll never forget the first boat race I was in. Was also my last. Told myself I'd never do that again.
Good job Cache. I didn't think things were looking too good weather wise but pretty good you all still worked out limits. The DU podcast did an AR preview and they seemed to say there were lots of specks down there already.
Thanks. You are right. Forecast was not good but we knew there were some ducks around. Didn't see near the geese we usually do.

Cache

2-Step Enabled
There is a public ramp about 2 miles south of us. There were already 20 trucks there Friday afternoon at 4pm. I love to kill ducks but I think I would quit if I had to camp in a hole for 16+ hours.
Saturday morning there was probably 70 or so. Yesterday only 10-15.

Displaced_Vol

I've got to the point where I won't even think about going to public here in the duck desert of south central KY on opening day. I can't imagine fighting that BS at a place like AR or anywhere that actually gets ducks.

Grnwing

I passed on the AR opener, hard to get excited about ducks when the temp is still in the 70s. I'll work on finishing up my deer hunting and hopefully by mid December be chasing the ducks.

JBell

Yea. We avoid the races too. We hunt nwr where it's bigger water and less boats. But someone didn't get the memo where we were. But at 4:00 when the law abiding ones were still waiting, we all handled it with class. Everyone just fell in line and slowed down where he wrecked. Then picked it back up again. No one trying to pass or play bumper boats.

Crosshairy

I can't even imagine that... so they are allowed to go to the actual hunting spot in the boat in that area? And then they just sleep on the boat? Or are they just camping at a spot in line to launch the boats?

As a friend would say, "I'm just not that mad at 'em". I love duck hunting, but clearly some folks love it more than me.

There is a public ramp about 2 miles south of us. There were already 20 trucks there Friday afternoon at 4pm. I love to kill ducks but I think I would quit if I had to camp in a hole for 16+ hours.
Saturday morning there was probably 70 or so. Yesterday only 10-15.

Latest posts