Arizona says bye-bye to trail cams

JCDEERMAN

I guess I can see their point of isolated water holes in a desert environment being ringed with trail cameras. That could be a problem.

Thankfully, land-ownership patterns and uses are very different in the West compared to here.
But even at that, wouldn't a logical-thinking hunter go and hunt over the elusive water source during a very dry period? I would, and I actually plan on it when I go to CO in September. I already have them marked on my map. No cameras being used, but will definitely check them out for the most recent sign and put a game plan together based on the intel.

If we are talking live-streaming or possibly some other cell-cams, I can see some merit there.

huntinkev

I can see that as being a big problem. And although I have a SERIOUS problem with the state agency banning cameras on private property, the private property out West can be very different than ours, with all the massive ranches which I'm sure are leased up by professional guide services.
I don't understand the West at all so I'm dumb. I'm thinking along the lines of TN. It might be warranted out there, I don't know. It's just the thought of the government banning a camera on private property that bothers me.

120+

Old school scouting. I've often wondered if trail cam use has actually hurt hunting if you think about the added pressure of placing and checking cameras. It sure is fun though.
But wouldn't cell cameras have the opposite effect? I have a cell camera in a remote spot that's been there nearly a year so I haven't had to visit that place.

120+

I guess I can see their point of isolated water holes in a desert environment being ringed with trail cameras. That could be a problem.

Thankfully, land-ownership patterns and uses are very different in the West compared to here.
Maybe. But how much different is a trail camera on a water hole from a neighbor farmer saying, "I see that buck come to your water every evening at 6:00 pm"?

BSK

Maybe. But how much different is a trail camera on a water hole from a neighbor farmer saying, "I see that buck come to your water every evening at 6:00 pm"?
I think it's really the stated problem of lots of people putting cameras on the same waterhole and all going to check their cameras frequently. That's a lot of disruptive human traffic at a critical resource like water in the desert.

megalomaniac

Trail cams are a HUGE problem in several states out west on public lands. Big $$$ guides pay 'finders fees' to individuals who locate an exceptional animals on public lands that clients are willing to pay tens of thousands for.

It's turned water holes into a crazy free for all, but ultimately it's just the average Joe that gets hurt, as they can't compete with the big name guide services. Lots of drama around 'claiming' the public water holes by placing cameras, and several confrontations have erupted.

Probably a GOOD thing on public lands. That being said, TERRIBLE idea on private lands... way too much govt overreach IMO.

fairchaser

But wouldn't cell cameras have the opposite effect? I have a cell camera in a remote spot that's been there nearly a year so I haven't had to visit that place.
Yes, but the average time between visits are probably 2 weeks. Even the presence of the camera affects the deer. One scouting trip through is one thing but two trips are another. One is random but two or more are different to a mature buck.

Lost Lake

I think this is the key wording: "voted to ban all use of trail cameras for use while hunting". From what I have read, which is limited and likely one-sided, the guides were getting greedy and monopolizing on limited water sources to benefit their client's success rate, and in turn line their pockets with funds, at the expense of the resource.
This is what I've heard as well.

DoubleRidge

Not surprised on public land.....but on private land I don't agree.....trail cameras can be a useful tool for private land managers for a variety of reasons other than "killing deer".....some of what can be learned from a camera survey can be used to make decisions that benefit the deer...then there is the benefit of catching or deterring tresspassers ...but with that said I can see where hundreds of people running cameras on certain public land units in Arizona could have a negative effect on wildlife putting extra stress on the herd during a time period where they normally wouldn't experience stress....for me personally cameras have saved a bunch of deers lives....what I thought was a "shooter" before I ran cameras now is a nice buck....but I know there has been an older age class buck in the area so I'm more patient to hold out and give the younger "nice buck" a pass.....on private land the good outweighs the bad IMO.

AT Hiker

1/2 of Arizona is practically public land as well. Throw in the patch work of ownership and it gets even more complicated.

Ill bet ya the Apache tribes will have cameras hung though, gotta keep tabs on those giant bulls that are worth $20k!

Shed Hunter

Are cameras allowed on TN public lands and Federal Refuges?
It all depends. I've contacted a few area managers and every time they say yes, it's fine. Now on the refuges while they don't care it is written that you aren't supposed to if I'm not mistaken

Andy S.

Per regulations, personal property such as tree stands are not allowed overnight on TWRA WMAs or NWS Refuges, and trail cameras are not allowed at all. That info is clearly spelled out in the NWR pamphlets and TWRA WMA regulations. With that said, I have seen numerous ladder/climbing stands, cameras, etc left overnight, over a month, and over an entire season on both. I have also had a good friend place trail cameras on a TWRA WMA in SW TN and the area manager confiscate them off the tree. I suspect this occurrence is rare, but it can happen.

Latest posts