Arguments for low grading inferior 2 year old bucks?

pass-thru

To be sure, I'm not advocating that inferior 2 year old bucks be killed or even removed from protection, I'm just interested in hearing the arguments for an against. Keeping the breeding season compressed is definitely a good thing, and I think that is one way that we are lucky, as I mentioned earlier.

This has been a frustrating year for me as far as antler development and buck sightings go. If you notice the pics I posted earlier, that was from the '13 and 14 seasons. We had drought conditions and no acorns in '13. None of my bucks seemed to put on any growth in '14, and that's understandable due to the tough year before. But now we've not had drought and had plenty of acorns and soft mast in '14, 15, 16 and 17. Yet I am seeing more poorly developed bucks this year than I have in years, and no great ones. I had several mature deer that made it through last seasons, and I can't track them over to this season either because they're not here or the racks not recognizable....I suspect it's a combination.

I was expecting this to be a great year. But I have seen virtually no bucks 2 or older while hunting. A couple dozen yearlings, and a ton of does. The yearlings slowly disappeared through 2 week rifle season and no doubt many have been killed. Saw zero rutting activity from the stand this year. It seems the rut was late and mostly at night. I had hot does in the vicinity of my cams three times this year at night, and got lots of photographs during those events. But none of this played out during the days I was hunting.

The strangest day for me was Nov 10th. I sat the whole afternoon in my best stand. Saw 2 doe/fawn groups move through, one with 5, the other with 7, and one lone buck cruising. I shot a mature doe out of the first group. Very strange to see them grouped up that early.

Anyway, I am still getting night pics of some of these not so great 2-3 year old bucks, rifle season's over, so most of them should be around next year.

Also for the record, I shoot my share of does every year...at least 3 up to 7 every year. I do think a reduction in overall deer numbers would be helpful for the deer here. Also, the 160 acre property next to mine is brown it's down...they have told me they shoot average of 25 deer a year with 7 guys hunting. The last time I talked to the owner he said they had never taken a buck over 110", but that was a few years ago.

Smo

pass-thru":2fd79yb1 said:
To be sure, I'm not advocating that inferior 2 year old bucks be killed or even removed from protection, I'm just interested in hearing the arguments for an against. Keeping the breeding season compressed is definitely a good thing, and I think that is one way that we are lucky, as I mentioned earlier.

This has been a frustrating year for me as far as antler development and buck sightings go. If you notice the pics I posted earlier, that was from the '13 and 14 seasons. We had drought conditions and no acorns in '13. None of my bucks seemed to put on any growth in '14, and that's understandable due to the tough year before. But now we've not had drought and had plenty of acorns and soft mast in '14, 15, 16 and 17. Yet I am seeing more poorly developed bucks this year than I have in years, and no great ones. I had several mature deer that made it through last seasons, and I can't track them over to this season either because they're not here or the racks not recognizable....I suspect it's a combination.

I was expecting this to be a great year. But I have seen virtually no bucks 2 or older while hunting. A couple dozen yearlings, and a ton of does. The yearlings slowly disappeared through 2 week rifle season and no doubt many have been killed. Saw zero rutting activity from the stand this year. It seems the rut was late and mostly at night. I had hot does in the vicinity of my cams three times this year at night, and got lots of photographs during those events. But none of this played out during the days I was hunting.

The strangest day for me was Nov 10th. I sat the whole afternoon in my best stand. Saw 2 doe/fawn groups move through, one with 5, the other with 7, and one lone buck cruising. I shot a mature doe out of the first group. Very strange to see them grouped up that early.

Anyway, I am still getting night pics of some of these not so great 2-3 year old bucks, rifle season's over, so most of them should be around next year.

Also for the record, I shoot my share of does every year...at least 3 up to 7 every year. I do think a reduction in overall deer numbers would be helpful for the deer here. Also, the 160 acre property next to mine is brown it's down...they have told me they shoot average of 25 deer a year with 7 guys hunting. The last time I talked to the owner he said they had never taken a buck over 110", but that was a few years ago.

That's my point exactly!

In my area over the last few years with 3 Doe a day limits my total deer sightings are down.

Buck sightings are down too. But still seen a few early in Nov.

Only two being racked Bucks.

We had almost Zero mast crop this year, so there's nothing here for them.

My cameras aren't getting pics. And it's hard cut a fresh track.

The only hope I've got left is I planted Winter wheat late and it's just breaking through the leaves.

Hopefully that will drag a few deer back my way.

I know they are still in the general area from My & my Wife's trips in and out.

catman529

I think 2.5 is still too young to get a real idea of anger potential since they were likely still growing their body while their rack grew. I do get excited to see a top end 2.5 year old, I'm sure a good portion of high grade bucks do grow up to be bigger than the lower grade 2 year olds. I am sure it varies too much to really judge a deer that hasn't reached its potential yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MickThompson

Pass-thru
You can't kill what isn't there. And from your last post, it seems like you have an age structure issue, not a nutrition or genetic issue. Sometimes they shift ranges, get hit by cars, poached, etc. You can't control it.

I wouldn't get hung up on how many does you should shoot either.

I still stand by my overly simplified philosophy of buck management. Shoot what makes you happy. I think we have all struggled with pressuring ourselves to kill that monster buck but all we can do is stack the deck as best as possible in the context of our geography and the regulations we are hunting under through habitat work, scouting, and patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmed

Just my thoughts, those young bucks have zero chance to "catch up" if they get shot. If you are trying to thin the herd for health, just stay after the does. I took an odd buck in KY this year, but one I am very happy with. he has been a 4 on one side, spike on the other for 2 years and no one wanted to blow their buck tag on him until this year. he blew up this year and will make a nice addition to my wall. After getting my hands on him, it was obvious that it was not a genetic issue, but a damaged peticle that created the abnormality. Yeah, maybe one day I will kill a 20 pointer but my goal is to kill the most mature buck I can, regardless of score. shooting those 2 year old bucks is not going to free up that much food and will just be burning your buck tags.

Latest posts