Archery All Year

TNMountain

It feels different to me when I hunt and shoot a deer at 15 yards with my bow than when I set in a shooting house overlooking 250 yards of food plot and pick which deer out of several I want to shoot out of the window. I just think it take more skill. I see many juveniles on here that kill deer at 100-200 yards so it can't be that hard vs up close with a bow.
That's my feeling too Laserman1. I just don't get as excited shooting a deer with a rifle anymore. Killing with a bow is more rewarding and also teaches discipline if they are just out of range. Definitely a more humble way of hunting and I am straight up addicted to bow hunting.

catman529

How is the feeling of killing a deer any different with the weapon you use? Ive killed deer with every legal means available and its all the same to me, dead deer ,meat in the freezer and another rack in the garage. No difference ,no matter the weapon. good luck to all no matter which weapon you choose keep those freezers full!!!
Well it's two entirely different types of weapon, so of course people will prefer one over the other...bow hunting is a rush, up close and personal, and you can see the arrow hit its mark. But I love the rifle just as much as bow hunting, it's a lot of fun and I can shoot farther and more accurately. I don't really have a preference but I understand why a lot of people do.

catman529

It feels different to me when I hunt and shoot a deer at 15 yards with my bow than when I set in a shooting house overlooking 250 yards of food plot and pick which deer out of several I want to shoot out of the window. I just think it take more skill. I see many juveniles on here that kill deer at 100-200 yards so it can't be that hard vs up close with a bow.
It really depends on the scenario though. I've shot a buncha deer inside 20 yards with a rifle, sitting at the base of a tree. I enjoy that just as much as bowhunting. Ive had quite a few easy bow kills that weren't much a challenge at all. For me it's a challenge to shoot a deer past 200 yards, I'm not the best marksman. My longest kill was 180, that was fun too. I enjoy it all, just being in the woods chasing the critters.

knightrider

Well it's two entirely different types of weapon, so of course people will prefer one over the other...bow hunting is a rush, up close and personal, and you can see the arrow hit its mark. But I love the rifle just as much as bow hunting, it's a lot of fun and I can shoot farther and more accurately. I don't really have a preference but I understand why a lot of people do.
Guess ive just done it all to long, one is no more exciting than other to me ,but 99% of my kills are 50 yards or less no matter the weapon. Long time bow hunter so i always set up for in your face kills!

UCStandSitter

I'm committed to archery only at this point. I am what libs would call a "gun nut" and love to take hogs with an AR but archery only for deer. My wife is worried I might be cheating on her with my bow. She's right ya know…

EJ1

Archery only for me the past 4-5 seasons.
I did step it up a notch this season and went recurve bow only and keeping my shots to 15 yards which is my max at this time.
I just like having to scout and get them close for archery. If you're 10 yards off you let them walk. If your a long way off with a rifle you can still get it done.
I'll pick the bow every time and will fill my freezer with a doe or two. I haven't killed a buck in 2 seasons and I'm OK with that.

tug

I bailed on the muzzle loader because, well, they are muzzle loaders. Got sick of the maintenance on them. So it is archery almost all the time. Maybe a day or two with a suppressed .300 because I don't like the noise. It is similar to dry flies on barbless versus salmon eggs with barbs. There is a time and place for both.

Latest posts