AR Rifles- hunting setups

Simpleman.2

Over the last fews years I've noticed a large amount of hunters switching over to an AR style rifle for deer hunting. I've always been intrigued by the concept of it but to be honest i don't know much about them or what to expect as far as accuracy goes. I know some of the guys on here use them for there hunting and I was wondering if some of you guys could post up a few of your setups and tell why you shoot what you shoot. Like I said I've done a little research on them but I really don't know a whole about which ones are better than others. So here's an opportunity for some of you AR guys to show off your rigs.

gatodoc

Re: AR Rifles- hunting setups

I got a DPMS Lite Hunter in 308 (they offer several calibers) and it shoots as accurate as my 700, Got a 3X9 Zeiss on top. Easier to maneuver in tight quarters and I hope in brush situations. Haven't had a chance to take it hunting yet....

rstodd

I thought about using mine for hunting but when you charge a round it would be pretty loud

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

TNRifleman

Not sure that I would ever carry this deer hunting but I did take it hog hunting in Texas. Heavy barreled DPMS in .223/5.56 with a 3-12x42 Vortex Diamondback in a SWFA SALT mount. It shoots under an inch at 100 yards with a few different types of ammo but I use Federal Fusion 62 gr. if I am hunting. It's fun to shoot and really accurate but when it comes to hunting deer, I am kind of a bolt gun snob :)

Deerhunter

Stag Arms Model 5 upper in 6.8SPCII , Magpul Furniture, Burris PEPR mount, Anderson lower, PSA lower parts kit, just ordered a Geissele trigger to go in it. Deer do not like it with the 115gr Fusions. Look forward to trying some 120gr SSTs and 90gr Gold Dots out this fall.

Simpleman.2

gatodoc":3lk9qas4 said:
I got a DPMS Lite Hunter in 308 (they offer several calibers) and it shoots as accurate as my 700, Got a 3X9 Zeiss on top. Easier to maneuver in tight quarters and I hope in brush situations. Haven't had a chance to take it hunting yet....

Ill have to look into this one. If I get one it will be in 308. I was curious as to just how accurate they are and I've been surprised to see so many people say how well they shoot at 100yrds. I really like the fact that they are more maneuverable too. I hunt a lot thickets and it would definitely come in handy.

Simpleman.2

TNRifleman":2f54xzob said:
Not sure that I would ever carry this deer hunting but I did take it hog hunting in Texas. Heavy barreled DPMS in .223/5.56 with a 3-12x42 Vortex Diamondback in a SWFA SALT mount. It shoots under an inch at 100 yards with a few different types of ammo but I use Federal Fusion 62 gr. if I am hunting. It's fun to shoot and really accurate but when it comes to hunting deer, I am kind of a bolt gun snob :)

I have to agree. It's very hard to put down my bolt action!

Fearless

I coyote hunt with a Remington R-15, it a lot of fun nut i prefer the bolt action 308 for deer.

infoman jr.

rstodd":36mbd1oq said:
I thought about using mine for hunting but when you charge a round it would be pretty loud

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Drop a round in the chamber. Ride the bolt carrier home with the charging handle. Hold your thumb on the bolt carrier while pressing the forward assist. Insert magazine.

rtaylor

Not sure how to post a pic but I've been using my Daniel Defense 5.56 for the last several years deer hunting and I have 100% confidence in it. I've killed several deer and none of them made it far. I have a Geisele trigger and topped with cheap Redfield battle scope 3x9. It's every bit as accurate inside of 200 yards as my Savage .270.

Latest posts