AR question

bobthebowhunter

I was shooting Sunday and had the rifle pop two rounds off in auto.
I pulled the first shot off and a second shot just popped of on it's own. Kept on shooting and it never did it again.

It was remington UMC ammo and some georgia arms reloads. Not sure what I was using when the gun acted up.

Slam Fire? I've seen dotted primers on ammo that got chambered, but never shot. So I know my firing pin is hitting the primers a little bit, but I've never had it slam fire. And I've not monkeyed with the trigger assembly at all.

What do yall think?

rdl65

Sounds like a slam fire. I had a Bushmaster that would do that with pretty good regularity but it would fire 2 or 3 rounds. I changed out the disconnecter and it fixed it.

infoman jr.

rdl65 said:
Sounds like a slam fire. I had a Bushmaster that would do that with pretty good regularity but it would fire 2 or 3 rounds. I changed out the disconnecter and it fixed it.
RDL, What you were experiencing was a follow-down where the hammer falls while the bolt closes and strikes the firing pin. Bob's malfunction could have been a bump fire also. At minimum, I'd clean the bolt up really well. Is this a stock fire control? It could also be a soft primer from one of the ammo types as it is common for the firing pin to leave a slight indent upon close-up. I've not heard of the UMC being an issue, but I'm not aware of the type of primer used in the Georgia Arms reloads.

Latest posts