Ar loading

Jcalder

I've never loaded for an ar but I load everything else. Is there anything I need to do different? Is there much need to do a lot of load development if all my brass is mixed, and I'm gonna mostly be shooting 50 yards and under. I understand I need it to cycle the weapon, which is fine. I figured I'd go with something in the mid to 3/4 load and see what happens. I'm not looking to shoot eye balls at 400 yards, I have other weapons for that.

backyardtndeer

Nothing to note really. I had several bulk packs from federal and other mixed stuff including ultramax(lake city brass). Most the federal stuff measures short and varies a lot, like 1.730. IMR 4895 and varget are pretty close, I think, in burn rate. With pretty well all the 55 grainers, from sp to varmageddon tipped, running 24.8 imr 4895. This works well for all the ar15's I have used them in.

Specializedjon

You don't need to do anything special. Agree with what's been said previously. Just more brass prep...i.e., primer pocket cleaning, resizing, etc. .223/5.56 is a pretty tolerant round, in my AR's at least. Kinda like a me and my Glock, they'll eat anything.

DaveB

Load a few, shoot a few. Check if a mid-range load will cycle the action. Due 2-3-4 in a row and be sure you have a functioning firearm.

FYI a mid-range 115 gr load does not cycle our 92FS Beretta.

Think Midsouth had 30-round mags on sale10 each just yesterday

rifle02

I assume you are talking about 5.56/223.
It probably applies there as well but I load 6.5 Grendel for an AR and I use dies labeled "AR". They are small base dies intended to resize the case to a smaller size to insure clambering in a semi-auto.

DaveB

Smallbase dies size the base .020 smaller than regular dies.

The Mini-guns and many AR's used in the military for training have oversize chambers as a result of wear and manufacturing variances, some of which were contractual meaning they had to be loose.

The brass from Lake City is okay,generally, but that does not cover all the manufacturers. Crimped primers is the giveaway

BTW I think it is .020 could be .002

backyardtndeer

Smallbase dies size the base .020 smaller than regular dies.

The Mini-guns and many AR's used in the military for training have oversize chambers as a result of wear and manufacturing variances, some of which were contractual meaning they had to be loose.

The brass from Lake City is okay,generally, but that does not cover all the manufacturers. Crimped primers is the giveaway

BTW I think it is .020 could be .002
That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. I will have to check some of the factory loaded stuff I have against my resized brass. Have quite a bit of ultramax in lake city brass. Would be interesting to see if there are any variances in base sizes between my reloads, ultramax, federal premium, federal bulk, and black hills.

brassmagnet

I picked up a couple hundred pieces of .223 brass at a range, turned out to be 480 some. De-primed, tumbled, sized, went with Lee dies not small base. Just standard .223/5.56, have 2-.223 Wilde, 1- 5.56, no problems. Just so you know, if you put your tumbler in the shed so you don't hear it running, from in the house, 3 days will get you a magnificent shine, or so I heard, from a guy I know, that heard it from a friend, yeah that's the ticket!!!

Latest posts