Apple tree question

volsfan1976

So I bought 12 apple trees in March. 4 Arkansas black, 3 Granny Smith, 2 liberty, and a Fuji. Planted them the first of April. All were approximately 5.5-6.5 foot tall when I bought them. This weekend I went to check on them and water them and all 4 of the Arkansas black have apples on them. One tree has maybe 10 and the most had close to 40 on it. All are small with the biggest being about the size of a marble. My question is should I remove them or let them go. No bigger than the branches are I'm afraid they will break the branches off. And I'm thinking that the trees would be better off using energy to grow itself than grow the apples. I have never had apple trees before and know nothing about them and honestly have no clue as what I need to do. Thanks for the help

cajunpredfan

I'd shake em off. Trees need to be growing roots not fruit the first year or 2 at least
This

At least thin them out to just a hand full of fruit to see what comes of them, but the tree would be better off without any. It will probably drop them on it's own.

I have an apple tree and it did not produce viable fruit for 8 years. Last year we processed about 200 pounds of apples.

DoubleRidge

I'd pick everyone off. Let the tree grow stronger roots and bigger branches.
I'm afraid our late freeze here got my fruit.
My chestnut trees are scorched. But are coming back.

Tn_Va_Hunter...if or when a young chestnut tree puts on a chestnut is it better to pick them so the energy goes to new growth, root development, etc.? Or leave them alone?

Latest posts