Apfelwein

BamaProud

I made a 5 gallon batch of Apfelwein, it is incredibly easy to make and the folks on a homebrew site I read rave about it, they have a running tally thread where they claim to have make over 26,000 gallons of it.

Its kind of a German hard cider. East to make...but it takes about 6 months to mature. Its going to be hard to wait...probably won't be drinking this till deer season. It started at 1.0656 Original Gravity, which should come out to about 9.0% ABV
2013-03-26140452_zps09c11363.jpg

Crosshairy

When I saw the titles of your two posts on the forum, I thought perhaps you were "butt posting". I never dreamed that those names were actual words, LOL!

Redfred16

Pretty sure they sell this warmed at the outdoor Christmas market in Wiesbaden, Germany. If its the same thing, it sent me home stumbling back to the barracks one December Saturday in 1988.

BamaProud

Probably the same basic thing.

There are versions of it that include a little Cinnamon and nutmeg that is served warm at Christmas.

There are also carbonated versions and back-sweetened versions too. That is the beauty of brewing/wine-making you can adjust recipes to your liking. When I first got started someone told me to be careful, because I would soon have fermenters stashed all over my house. They were right. :)

TAFKAP

Redfred16 said:
Pretty sure they sell this warmed at the outdoor Christmas market in Wiesbaden, Germany. If its the same thing, it sent me home stumbling back to the barracks one December Saturday in 1988.

You might be thinking of "Something or another Teutonic word" wein. I believe what you're thinking of is a German red wine, simmered with "mulling spices" and served warm. It'll get your head right ;)

Redfred16

TAFKAP said:
Redfred16 said:

You might be thinking of "Something or another Teutonic word" wein. I believe what you're thinking of is a German red wine, simmered with "mulling spices" and served warm. It'll get your head right ;)

I suppose that is true, my slightly skewered memories could be combining the Christmas "wein" and apfelkorn.

TAFKAP

I just texted my mom, and they called it "glutwein" or something along those lines.....Then again, Germans might just simmer all their various drinks with spices and call it blah-blah-wein.

Latest posts