Anyone use an over and under for turkeys...

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
I have been debating getting one, I have shot a few with my dads old single shot 10, loved how light it was to carry through the woods. I have been looking for a decent deal on a over/under to try out.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
The gun I toted for the first two years I turkey hunted was an old Zabala(?) 10 ga side by side, 30" barrels full and full. Killed my two turkeys with it but it was a HEAVY beast to carry!

woodsman04

I don't, but they are handy and neat. And then off brand ones are affordable.
Best thing about them in my opinion would be to have an extra full choke with one barrel for 35+ yard shots, and maybe a regular full or modified for close range shots.
Id even go as far as perhaps using TSS in my main barrel, and if I had a short shot opportunity have the other barrel with lead to save money.
But I'm odd and think about stuff like that some people probably don't.

Boll Weevil

Id even go as far as perhaps using TSS in my main barrel, and if I had a short shot opportunity have the other barrel with lead to save money.
Yes sir. About half my birds each year croak via my short barrel and whatever old lead 6s I got laying around.

Southern Sportsman

I'm on my second one.

Agree that Boll has the badass-est O/U turkey guns around.

The ONLY downside I've found with an O/U turkey gun is the potential for variation in POI with the two different barrels. Buy a $4,000 over under and it's built with exact tolerances and great attention to barrel alignment. Buy a $450 over under - not so much. Typically the variation isn't enough to worry about if you're wing shooting with a modified or IM choke. But it can be a problem when you choke it down and want it to shoot to an exact spot for turkeys. Some will shoot both barrels perfect, but my experience is that most lower cost guns don't. It can usually be fixed with a little time and effort, but if you're not willing to tinker with it I'd stick with a one barrel gun.

Displaced_Vol

I've thought about it. I think CZ has a couple turkey specific models. I've seen some other random brands in KY Gun co but I can't remember what the brand name was at the moment.

Ski

I use my old Barretta silver pigeon. It predates screw in chokes and only chambered for 2-3/4" but the thing feels like part of me. I can't be shooting beyond 40yds, but anything closer is in trouble.

thirdwilliam

I will throw my $0.2 in the ring. I have pondering the same. I am used to shooting the old two trigger double barrels and I have thought of purchasing a new CZ, 2 trigger O/U for setting up with two different chokes. If I want the same choke in both, I would still lean toward the CZ and spend a little more for the single trigger. Both choices are 3"

Boll Weevil

POA/POI is absolutely critical. Some of these washboard barrels and coarse forcing cones are rough as a Nebraska cob. They'll flat blow a pattern before the wad even passes thru the choke. Maybe look for a chrome moly bore or plan for a gentle bore polish.

Get that bore slick and mirror polish if you can.

Latest posts