Anyone use a electric mountain bike to ride trails and/or hunt with? If so which one?

medwc

I'm feeling old or maybe I'm just getting old. lol, either way I am thinking of getting an electric mountain bike to hunt with and just too ride also with the added benifet of power when I am running low on human fuel/motivation. I have a peddle mountain bike but it is harder to do every year. Any suggestions? $2000 is my limit on spending.

HatchieLuvr

I have a Radpower....kids and I both like it. I bought to hunt with but ride it around neighborhood all the time....they are fun.

Do you have a pic or model of your bike? Would it do 5 miles of flat but very muddy trails/roads between charges?

And when I say would IT do it, I mean just that, IT! Not me pedaling one time, I'm relying solely on battery power. I'm not "exercising" while hunting, I just want scentfree and SILENT transportation to and from my stands.

Bucks & Beards

I know some guys who use a "Rambo" bike. They like them.

You'll probably need to pay over $2000.

They can have problems in muddy conditions.

Safety is a concern. Everyone I know who uses them have taken tumbles on them. Some not so serious. Some pretty serious

Antler Daddy

I believe we can get about 28-30 miles on Radpower before needing charge. I've never muddled with it. There is a Radpower Facebook group and people have added bigger batteries or bought a second for more distance. A lot add some type of anti flat stuff to tires. So,e change tires to a more aggressive tread. Mine does not have mud guards and I think they are standard now. Rad Rover is the model https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radrover-electric-fat-bike

I did a lot of research on cheaper and more expensive bikes before purchasing. I had never owned more than a cheap Walmart hybrid. I'm just over 250 and it takes me up hills not pedaling on pavement. We will get our money out of it and if I ever retire, I would put two on the back of an rv.

Flat Hatchie River bottom mud....no idea. But unless the Rambo is dual motor front and rear wheel drive, I can't imagine it would do any better.

Trnr

I built one using an existing mtn bike i had. I used an Amazon bought 1000w front wheel hub kit. My handy work certainly doesnt compare to professional built bikes, but it works and its a hoot to ride. All said and done Ive got around $1000 in it.

bbuck14

I have a fat tire electric bike from M2Sbikes and absolutely love it. This is my 3rd year to have it and I have no complaints. 26" fat tires all terrain 750 watts that I take everywhere through mud and all. You can get them under $2,000. Message me and I'll be glad to send pictures.

rem270

I was walking into my property a few weeks ago and thought how much quicker I would get to my stand on my mtn bike. It's not an E-bike but I could probably be to my stand in less than 3 mins.

JCDEERMAN

Two close friends have M2S electric bikes and love them.

I have a fat tire electric bike from M2Sbikes and absolutely love it. This is my 3rd year to have it and I have no complaints. 26" fat tires all terrain 750 watts that I take everywhere through mud and all. You can get them under $2,000. Message me and I'll be glad to send pictures.
You all care to share which ones on the M2S lineup specifically that you have and Andy's friends have? All Terrain R750 HT, Ultra HT, FR, Scout, etc......?

I don't need one of these, but they are intriguing for sure. Maybe a future purchase. I could sure conceal this much better than my golf cart

medwc

I built one using an existing mtn bike i had. I used an Amazon bought 1000w front wheel hub kit. My handy work certainly doesnt compare to professional built bikes, but it works and its a hoot to ride. All said and done Ive got around $1000 in it.
Thanks guys, lots of great info and I will be researching some of this tonight. One thing I never thought of or even knew about is a wheel kit hub. That has really got my interest.

Trnr

The bike was fun to build and is fun to ride. if you go that route, be wary of bikes with rear suspension (it makes battery placement more of a challenge). Another thing to consider is longevity. Front hub kits put a lot of torque on the front forks, and in some cases crack/break the bottom of the fork. They do make braces but I cant say how well they work. Only other things I swapped were tires (Kenda Smoke was the model) and brake cables. Ill send a PM over in a bit with some mire details.

HatchieLuvr

I'll be 50 next year and I'm 250 (6'4" so at least I aint "portly" I'm just old and out of shape & hate exercise. :p) so as much as I really like the idea of using one back and forth on my Hatchie swamp, I realize the limitations of a bike and my "nimbleness" on snake snot slick roads! I wonder if a fat tire trike could be built and would twin hub motors (rear wheels) do the job?

How well are those hub motors and battery packs sealed? Could they ride through water that might submerge them at times?

At times I need an "ATC Canoe" that is silent. ;)

Andy S.

You all care to share which ones on the M2S lineup specifically that you have and Andy's friends have? All Terrain R750 HT, Ultra HT, FR, Scout, etc......?

I don't need one of these, but they are intriguing for sure. Maybe a future purchase. I could sure conceal this much better than my golf cart
My buddies have the All Terrain R750, but they may be a little different than the current model due to them being 3-4 years old. They both have about $2,200 in the bike and accessories. One has mid drive motor (useless if your chain breaks) and one has rear hub motor that will still get you out of the woods if your chain breaks and you have plenty of battery left. This link talks about the pros/cons of each.

Specializedjon

I'll be 50 next year and I'm 250 (6'4" so at least I aint "portly" I'm just old and out of shape & hate exercise. :p) so as much as I really like the idea of using one back and forth on my Hatchie swamp, I realize the limitations of a bike and my "nimbleness" on snake snot slick roads! I wonder if a fat tire trike could be built and would twin hub motors (rear wheels) do the job?

How well are those hub motors and battery packs sealed? Could they ride through water that might submerge them at times?

At times I need an "ATC Canoe" that is silent. ;)
I'll be 50 next year too. Hunting (walking) is really the only exercise I get besides working around the property. Agree...working out sucks. Besides, picturing me on an electric bike with my climber, backpack, etc. going 10 mph across a field, kinda makes me laugh. I'd be a missing persons report waiting to happen.

HatchieLuvr

I'll be 50 next year too. Hunting (walking) is really the only exercise I get besides working around the property. Agree...working out sucks. Besides, picturing me on an electric bike with my climber, backpack, etc. going 10 mph across a field, kinda makes me laugh. I'd be a missing persons report waiting to happen.

:D lol yeah I understand ya bud! For me it's more a matter of "silent and scentfree" mobility tho. My place is on the Hatchie and was logged when I bought it so now 10yrs later it's THICK and the deer actually walk my roads and trails. Walking in on those trails leaves scent and "alerts" but we've had none of that via electric carts. But obviously, "jacked up, redneck golfcarts" aren't really made for 5 miles slogs through the the Hatchie Bottoms. And of course they are much harder to conceal once at the stand than would a bike. These electric bikes are promising, a trike is REALLY promising and if I could build/assemble one for $1k-$2k then I'm golden! I don't have any requirements for hauling stands etc, every stand I have is already in the woods, a backpack and weapon is about all we have to tote. Hauling deer out aint a problem, I don't mind running a truck or ATV in for that occasion.

Tanelson43

I added a mid drive motor to my old mountain bike. It has been an awesome addition to my hunting equipment. I have around $900 in the entire set up and it is 100% worth it. I have driven within 10 yards of several deer and turkeys without them spooking. It makes checking trail cams and getting to and from the stand very quick and easy.

a-wi ka-na-ti

This is what I have on order.
Watch the video.
I did a lot of research. Mid drives are pricier but a 750w hub drive should do the trick.
The Bolton has by far the best features for the price I have found yet.

I order it in early summer when all the suppliers were shut down.

It is now literally on a slow boat from China.

Should arrive in early December. I bought it mainly for Turkey hunting,

BTW
I went and bought a Rambo cart to use on the Bolton. So deer hunting with it is not out of the question.

https://boltonebikes.com/collection...products/bolton-electric-fat-bike-24-750-watt

medwc

Well, I pulled the trigger and went with a M2S All Terrain R750 base XL model with an upgrade on the battery. I went with the base because I'm a cheap bass turd. lol, actually I have some mountain/fat tire bike stuff(fenders, racks, light set, etc...) just sitting in the garage and I do like to reuse stuff(especially if I have to tinker on it to make it work). I had other brands and models in mind but most are not available or 2 to 3 months waits. Also this one had no tax and just $21 shipping so I stayed under my $2000 limit(bike was $1620).

rtaylor

Well, I pulled the trigger and went with a M2S All Terrain R750 base XL model with an upgrade on the battery. I went with the base because I'm a cheap bass turd. lol, actually I have some mountain/fat tire bike stuff(fenders, racks, light set, etc...) just sitting in the garage and I do like to reuse stuff(especially if I have to tinker on it to make it work). I had other brands and models in mind but most are not available or 2 to 3 months waits. Also this one had no tax and just $21 shipping so I stayed under my $2000 limit(bike was $1620).
I've been looking at that model also. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. Will it pull up a semi steep hill?

Latest posts