Anyone try lithium batteries yet?

Snowwolfe

Just had to replace all three of my trolling batteries then someone pointed me towards a lithium 36 volt battery. Half the weight of one 12 volt, 2,000 charge cycles, and yea, pricey at 1300-1500. Most have a warranty for 10 or 11 years so cost works out. Huge weight savings, fast recharge time, and only need a one bank charger.
Thinking when the warranty expires on the three I just bought will try a lithium.

TNCharlie

Just had to replace all three of my trolling batteries then someone pointed me towards a lithium 36 volt battery. Half the weight of one 12 volt, 2,000 charge cycles, and yea, pricey at 1300-1500. Most have a warranty for 10 or 11 years so cost works out. Huge weight savings, fast recharge time, and only need a one bank charger.
Thinking when the warranty expires on the three I just bought will try a lithium.

I recently purchased a 12-V lithium. I haven't had a chance to put it to a real stress test, but I have tried it. Love the light weight. I ran it for a couple of hours on my remote controlled GPS trolling motor, part of the time using navigation mode which takes continuous power. When I quit the battery test showed all 4 lights still bright. Put it on a charge when I got home and that verified that it was still fully (or almost) charged.

Expensive? Well, if it lasts as advertised, it won't be any more expensive over its life than buying several regular batteries.

Note that you will need a charger made for lithium batteries.

Spurhunter

Note that you will need a charger made for lithium batteries.
Mine came with their own chargers so I took my 3 bank onboard charger out and replaced it with a 1 bank for my cranking battery. Also note that some outboard manufacturers (Yamaha for certain) do NOT want lithium batteries used as cranking batteries.

TheLBLman

$1300 buys a lot of batteries.
Agree.
The relatively high price has held me back, but am intrigued.
If I start fishing more (that is the plan), I'm getting at least one 12-volt lithium.

A single 12-volt is not as unreasonable on the cost.
Over time, the cost isn't as bad as just up front.

Do like the huge weight reduction of these lithium batteries.
That will result in a small fuel savings & increased boat efficiency,
including while just using the trolling motor.

Headhunter

@Headhunter

I bet you know a guy that can answer. LOL
I will ask him when I talk to him next. He is working a tournament at the moment.

This may be his personal opinion, but I do know he DOES not recommend lithiums for anything, even trolling motors. He is a service tech to Bassmaster elite, has been for about 17 years.

RobDooley

Seriously considering the Ionic Lithium batteries. For the life of my Triton I have used Optima Blue Tops, Group 31m batteries exclusively. two 12 volts for trolling motor and one 12 volt for cranking big engine and all accessories which includes two Humminbird Helix 10's. They are five years old and have served me well. However, I believe it is time to replace. Presently the Optima's sell for $374.99 each, totally $1,124.97. I can buy two Ionic 12 volts with 50ah each for trolling motor for $350.00 each. One 12 volt 125ah for big engine and all electronics and accessories for $800.00. For a total of $1,500.00. I have been doing a lot of research with regards to safely cranking my Mercury 225 Opti Max and concluded they are safe. A lot of guys are doing it. Plan on discussing in depth with a guy here in Chattanooga that sells and installs them.

Latest posts