Anyone try lithium batteries yet?

WTM

Wonder why?
Too "hot" ? Damage the starter?
the charging system on an outboard is designed for a higher internal resistance (youll eventually burn out the charging system) you never charge lithiums belowing freezing temps(theyll shut off). itd probably damage the li battery management system as well. id also say that the charging system would keep it near topped off constantly. all lithiums have a storage voltage too high or too low will eventually kill it or lose its charge way too soon.

RobDooley

He says NO to lithium for Yamahas as cranking batteries for sure. He is busy, so that was all the answer I got.
Same for Mercury. I emailed Mercury and this was part of their response: "Lithium Batteries contain a Battery Management System (BMS) that protects the battery against thermal and over/under charging events. This could cause the BMS to remove battery voltage to the engine while underway, posing a safety hazard while causing possible damage to the engine's electrical system. We do NOT recommend using lithium batteries with ANY Mercury Outboard due to these circumstances". I may get them for my trolling motor and one for graphs and all other accessories. Keeping an AGM for cranking motor. Hopefully, they will continue to improve the technology.

Speedwell-Hunter

Just had to replace all three of my trolling batteries then someone pointed me towards a lithium 36 volt battery. Half the weight of one 12 volt, 2,000 charge cycles, and yea, pricey at 1300-1500. Most have a warranty for 10 or 11 years so cost works out. Huge weight savings, fast recharge time, and only need a one bank charger.
Thinking when the warranty expires on the three I just bought will try a lithium.
yep, I run lithium batteries in my trail cams, they work great!

RobDooley

I would find it hard to justify the cost.
I have three (3) X2 Power AGM batteries in my boat. Two (2) for the 24v trolling motor and one (1) for cranking, running graphs and accessories. These batteries are $469.00 a piece, for a grand total of $1,407.00. To use lithiums: I would require at a minimum two (2) 50ah 12v Ionic lithium batteries for trolling motor at $349.00 each. One (1) 125ah 12v Ionic lithium for cranking and running graphs and all accessories for $789.00 for a grand total of $1,487.00. That is a difference of $80.00.

utvolsfan77

I have three (3) X2 Power AGM batteries in my boat. Two (2) for the 24v trolling motor and one (1) for cranking, running graphs and accessories. These batteries are $469.00 a piece, for a grand total of $1,407.00. To use lithiums: I would require at a minimum two (2) 50ah 12v Ionic lithium batteries for trolling motor at $349.00 each. One (1) 125ah 12v Ionic lithium for cranking and running graphs and all accessories for $789.00 for a grand total of $1,487.00. That is a difference of $80.00.
So, for you the price difference is basically negligible then. Think you'll switch over the next time you have to replace batteries?

bluball

Well i ordered a 125ah ionic lithium today,gonna use it for my electronic battery at first.Gotta move some wireing around and then move it to the starting position.Posts above say not to use a lithium for cranking,but there are a few that will work.You have to have the right bms for it to work from my understanding.My buddy also just became a amped outdoors and ionic lithium battery retailer if anyone needs one,hit him up at performance fishing electronics for your lithium needs.

Last edited:

Hduke86

Well i ordered a 125ah ionic lithium today,gonna use it for my electronic battery at first.Gotta move some wireing around and then move it to the starting position.Posts above say not to use a lithium for cranking,but there are a few that will work.You have to have the right bms for it to work from my understanding.My buddy also just became a amped outdoors and ionic lithium battery retailer if anyone needs one,hit him up at performance fishing electronics for your lithium needs.
Sounds good, yea I thought I saw on the Ionic batteries that it could be used for Yamaha and Mercury but don't quote me on that.

RobDooley

Sounds good, yea I thought I saw on the Ionic batteries that it could be used for Yamaha and Mercury but don't quote me on that.
I wish it was true, but I think you are mistaking. I would switch to all lithium batteries tomorrow if they were safe for my Mercury. Mercury responded to my question in regard to using a lithium for cranking on Jan. 25, 2022. See above.

bluball

I wish it was true, but I think you are mistaking. I would switch to all lithium batteries tomorrow if they were safe for my Mercury. Mercury responded to my question in regard to using a lithium for cranking on Jan. 25, 2022. See above.
The reason mercury says no to lithium is because you have to have a battery with the right bms(battery management system)There are a couple lithiums that do and ionic is one of them,but you still cant usei lthium for outboards that charge with a stator.Look on bass boat central lots have been doing it for yrs no problem,pros are even doing it.

bluball

Oh and with an ionic only the 100ah and the 125ah have the correct bms that makes it ok for alot of starting situations

Latest posts