Anyone recommend a black bear hunt?

jmlost

Starting to do research on a first time bear hunt. Have spoke to a few guides in Maine. Any info or tips would be great. Not set on Maine was just first place I have looked

Barrett

Maine is good, they have alot of bears and of course the country is beautiful. I have friends that are like family right in Maine on the border of St. Stephen, New Brunswick. I have been twice now in NB and killed one. I hope to go back and bow hunt one in the next few years in Maine. His father in law was a bear guide before he passed away so my buddy helped him all the time and knows his stuff. I have it pretty good. I get myself up there and have a free place to stay, free food, and free guide service.

B&C

jmlost said:
Starting to do research on a first time bear hunt. Have spoke to a few guides in Maine. Any info or tips would be great. Not set on Maine was just first place I have looked

Have hunted Blacks in numerous states. If you are after something above 6" I would concentrate on Alberta, N. Sask, BC and the ultimate would be AK. Have harvested several in AK and the state produces some monsters. Main, Winn, Co, Wy, Idaho, NM all produce some whoppers but their "average" bear is nothing close to the nothern boars you can get. If you wanna talk bear hunting give me a shout, 785-249-7727.

Nathan

JimFromTN

Something to consider as far as when to go which would also affect where you go and that is spring bear meat tastes allot better than fall bear meat.

B&C

JimFromTN said:
Something to consider as far as when to go which would also affect where you go and that is spring bear meat tastes allot better than fall bear meat.

Agree 100%.. Can still get some good bear meat in the fall if they are heavy on the berries and not in fish...

Latest posts