Anyone know about Savage MZ Henry Ball limited edition

DaveTN

Is this thing of any value? My uncle gave it to me and said he hasn't shot it for years because last time be shot it, the barrel bulged and he's not sure why. I don't see a bulge but know nothing about smokeless mz's. He told me the stock is bedded as well. Anyone have any info on this. It says Henry B
Before anyone tries to shoot that, you might want to read this. Is this the ML in question?

vonb

With smokeless MLs, they are much more sensitive to seating the bullet on the charge due to higher pressures generated. Charges should also be weighed as opposed to measured by volume. Any time I see reports such as the old article above, I wonder what really happened. They do require more attention then traditional BP. If you follow the directions and go with a book charge, I have a hard time seeing them come apart like the article above.

I believe it was Toby Bridges that had a falling out with Savage surrounding smokeless MLs. He made it a point to slander Savage on the smokeless ML rifles. Emails and dialog were posted whereby Toby Bridges stated he was out to ruin Savage. I'm not saying to above ML is safe. I would have it checked out. However, look at all sides before forming an opinion. $250 is a steal for that rifle. I've seen them go over $1K.

Lastly, check with the folks on Doug's Message Boards: https://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/board/23/savage-smokeless-muzzleloading
They seem to be really knowledgeable on Savage smokeless MLs.

Last edited:

hittingsteal

If im reading my book rite these will be the gen 1 models. Gen 2 has accutrigger and says some of the gen 2 does not have a recoil lug. Hope this helps

Latest posts