Anyone know about pheasants ?

RUGER

Supporter
My son is in South Dakota pheasant hunting.
He killed one to get mounted and he said the guides were pretty excited about it.
Said it had 26 rings on its tail and was over 2 years old.

Just wondering what the rings meant?

2DA615AF-755E-495F-924C-3F19E22730E4.jpeg

Rancocas

Well, I hunted ring-necked pheasants for 40 years or so, before I retired here to Tennessee. Shot some as a gunner in field trials as well. Raised some, too, for training our dogs. Never gave a thought to the rings on the tails. Just a long tail, is all.
Pretty, gaudy birds. Native of northern China and Korea. Introduced into the US back in the 1890's.

There are many species of pheasants. Some are tropical jungle birds. Don't see why one kind or another can't be found that would do well here in the south.

RUGER

Supporter
All I know is a 3” #4 Federal high brass copper shot from a modified choke in a Citori 20g makes them fall down dead!
I bought him an over and under for Christmas
Had to give it to him early when this trip came up.
Couldn’t let him go out there with a brand new one under the tree lol
I need to ask about the ammo he used.
It was furnished by the outfitters

RUGER

Supporter
He said he was using Fiocchi #5s pheasant loads

No clue why they furnish them

CBU93

Supporter
He said he was using Fiocchi #5s pheasant loads

No clue why they furnish them
I would assume because most hunters not familiar with pheasants (their target market) underestimate how tough these birds can be. They want to ensure clean kills, especially in light of you told me yesterday about the cost they have to pay the state per bird.

RUGER

Supporter
I would assume because most hunters not familiar with pheasants (their target market) underestimate how tough these birds can be. They want to ensure clean kills, especially in light of you told me yesterday about the cost they have to pay the state per bird.
Lol
He said

Idk but I've never seen so many shotgun shells in my entire life. Pallets and pallets and more pallets of shells. And the bus has giant crates of both 20 and 12 gauge shells. Just grab what ever you need. Even guns

jameseboy

We hunted em when I grew up. As mentioned paid no attention to rings on tail. Dad hunted with 7.5 shot and tried to lead them so as to hit them in the head rather than have a lot of shot in the bird. He seldom missed and I don’t remember more than a couple pellets in any of the birds.

iowavf

I used 6 shot most of the time and even 4 shot later in the season when they got up faster. We didn't count the rings either just the length of the tail feathers and spurs. They're making a pretty good comeback here in Iowa again but nothing like the game farms in SD. I'm guessing they're seeing over a hundred pheasants a day there?

7mm08

I used 6 shot most of the time and even 4 shot later in the season when they got up faster. We didn't count the rings either just the length of the tail feathers and spurs. They're making a pretty good comeback here in Iowa again but nothing like the game farms in SD. I'm guessing they're seeing over a hundred pheasants a day there?
I took my Dad to Winner SD years ago. Great family outfit. Ton of birds back then. I learned what a BARN was with all the huge combines in them.

What I did learn is that the family during a huge ice storm went out and picked up the half frozen birds and brought them back to their “ barn” to warm up before they turned them loose the next day. That is conservation of resources and taking care of their investment. All wild birds I might add.

RUGER

Supporter
Not sure but the group he was in yesterday had 18 hunters in it and they all had a limit by 2:00

Odd also apparently you can’t hunt before 9:30 am ?

Grnwing

We d measure the tail feathers, 23in would be a long feather, i forget on the spur length but the older birds would have sharp spurs and the young birds would be pretty rounded. Beautiful birds and glad your son got to go on a good hunt. They make a great mount!

BamaProud

Supporter
Never gave a thought to the rings on the tails. Just a long tail, is all.
Pretty, gaudy birds.

I hunted them in SD for about 8 years. Never paid attention to the number of rings. That is a long tail though. Looking at the spurs on that bird I'd say he's no 2 years old. I've seen a few with curved 1 inch spurs. They don't usually live past 3 years from what I understand.

CATCHDAWG

Well, I hunted ring-necked pheasants for 40 years or so, before I retired here to Tennessee. Shot some as a gunner in field trials as well. Raised some, too, for training our dogs. Never gave a thought to the rings on the tails. Just a long tail, is all.
Pretty, gaudy birds. Native of northern China and Korea. Introduced into the US back in the 1890's.

There are many species of pheasants. Some are tropical jungle birds. Don't see why one kind or another can't be found that would do well here in the south.
Did not know they weren’t a native species.

PossumSlayer

Supporter
I’ve never shot or hunted pheasants but have almost died two times rabbit hunting, two times I’ve kicked a brush pile and a pheasant flew up in my face.

Chiflyguy

My son is in South Dakota pheasant hunting.
He killed one to get mounted and he said the guides were pretty excited about it.
Said it had 26 rings on its tail and was over 2 years old.

Just wondering what the rings meant?

View attachment 120883
Don’t know about the rings but a 2 year old bird is impressive.
The breast sprinkled with Slap Yo Mama and wrapped in bacon, seared in cast iron a couple minutes per side and then throw in 375 deg. oven for 15 minutes is awesome.
Always wanted to do the Dakotas but too pricey.☹️

BMan

Not sure but the group he was in yesterday had 18 hunters in it and they all had a limit by 2:00

Odd also apparently you can’t hunt before 9:30 am ?

What is the limit on pheasants?

I bet that was a heckuva hunt!!

Trophy of the moment

Latest posts