Anyone just pack it up?

D

doolin

Been really thinking about just taking a risk and moving. I have a really good job but im young, single, and have no kids. I meet an owner of a drill company at a meeting in Houston last year and he lives in Australia and told me many times to give him a call if I ever want to come out and I still talk to him every couple months. Just been thinking that im only young single and have no kids for a short time in my life so why not take a huge risk and do it. Any input and advice would be great if you ever have done it before

B

BlackBelt

Do it. You can always come back to what you've got now.
It is an experience that will shape your future and the rest of your life.

T

THEdonkey0515

Nope never really wanted to pack up, and move away. A week or so vacation was nice once or twice a year about all I ever wanted.

but after 2 years of dating/being engaged I bought the home she wanted & was married at 22. So really didn't have much time to think about it lol

D

doolin

Its just something I always wanted to do and I have no idea how to do it or how to go about it. Seems I remember one of the members on here, maybe poser?, doing it last year and I just feel like why not. As a kid I always loved the couple times I changed school district because its a new beginning and new start where nobody knows you. Just feel like this is the chance to see the world. Sounds crazy but it sounds like the only chance I will ever get to do it.

duckduck84

duckduck84

Almost did it once after my divorce from my first wife. I had some friends that lived in Daphne, Alabama and I went down to potentially take a job on the PD there. Ended up not taking it, came home, and a couple months later met my now wife.

All I can tell you is go with your gut. I got down to Daphne and knew it wasn't for me, but had it felt right I'd have taken the job in a second.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

J

jb3

See as much of the world and experience everything you can. My wife talks about it from time to time, but we are too invested in our jobs. If we did not have kids, we'd be somewhere else. It's all up to the individual.

E

eddie c

I know some married people that have done it. the decision is yours to make.

Spurhunter

Spurhunter

Supporter
I would say do it while you're young. Most folks never get the chance. Plus those Australian women have the hottest freaking accents.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

D

doolin

Spurhunter":1hqdaxbj said:
I would say do it while you're young. Most folks never get the chance. Plus those Australian women have the hottest freaking accents.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Would definitely agree on that last part! Dated a girl for a little while here on a Tennis scholarship from there and they think us southerners have the hottest accents lol

rem270

rem270

Supporter
Didn't actually move out of the U.S but I packed up from all I've ever known 5 months ago and moved from TN to AR. I am married but have no kids.

I have always been a "what if" kind of guy and the urge to try a new place was really on my mind. I didn't change jobs so it's not exactly like you're talking about but was indeed a change.

I am 30 so still consider myself young. I made a good salary at home and was doing pretty good for myself. But like I said there was the "what if" thing. Had the opportunity to move to Louisiana November of 16 but chickened out. When this opportunity came available in May of '17 I knew this was my best chance to go see if living somewhere else was really going to be as good as it sounded. From last May to August was a big blur and I was a resident of Arkansas come August.

I know everyone situation is different and no one can make the decision for you but my decision was possibly the best I've ever made. I love my job and the area I live in. Another good thing I'm 5.5 hours from home so can be home pretty quick.

Some folks have the heart to take a chance at something but don't have the butt to back it up and spend their whole life wondering "what if". If you think it's right go for it. Don't burn any bridges in hopes if you get tired of being in Australia you can move back.

Go over there make as much money as you can and come back some day!

Best of luck.

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter
If your serious about it then go for it.

I'll tell you a story about a clasmate of mine. His uncle was comander of a Army base in Alaska and he called my friend up one day right after the 1973 oil crisis had just started. He told my friend that everybody up there knew that with the crisis going on that soon the pipeline would get approved and for him to come up there as soon as he could so off he went only 2 years out of highschool, learned to be a welder in trade school. I don't remember if he was able to live on base or just off base but he stayed with his uncle and aunt the first part of it. He was able to get a good job building the pipeline the very first week they started. He lived at the camps as they worked and stayed up there 3 full years until they finished. He never took any time off just mailed his money home, never drinked, drugs or gamble.When it was over around 1976 or so and he came home he stayed with his parents for 4 months then went down to Florida, bought a deep sea fishing boat and started taking people fishing. A year later married his highschool sweetheart and has been making a good living taking people fishing ever since. I think he retired a couple years ago

S

sharpshooter

Do it and do it while single. My first wife screwed me out of a great career opportunity that will never come again and all I can do is wonder, what if. But on the bright side I have a great wife now and 2 crazy kids that I wouldn't trade for anything.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

D

doolin

Everything everyone has said is the reason why I am seriously thinking about doing it. Everybody I know who is 40+ has always said "I wish I took more risk when I was younger" well I don't want to be that guy.

S

sharpshooter

doolin":3qnnr96o said:
Everything everyone has said is the reason why I am seriously thinking about doing it. Everybody I know who is 40+ has always said "I wish I took more risk when I was younger" well I don't want to be that guy.
You just answered your own question then, just sounds like you needed a little push to get the ball rolling! Good luck in whatever you decide!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

M

Mike Belt

When I was younger I wanted to return to Wyoming or Montana and tried my best to transfer my job. It didn't happen. When I got older they contacted me wanting me to transfer. Too late in life. If you think you'd like to try it then go for it. As you get older and possibly marry and have kids you may find it's too late for you also.

cbhunter

cbhunter

Supporter
doolin":2s7spmpq said:
why not man? Sounds like a risk your eager to take. Pray about it and he will not steer you wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbhunter

cbhunter

Supporter
So is he offering you a job over there? I’m not sure that was clear in your post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duckduck84

duckduck84

Wildcat":1hp2gssv said:
If your serious about it then go for it.

I'll tell you a story about a clasmate of mine. His uncle was comander of a Army base in Alaska and he called my friend up one day right after the 1973 oil crisis had just started. He told my friend that everybody up there knew that with the crisis going on that soon the pipeline would get approved and for him to come up there as soon as he could so off he went only 2 years out of highschool, learned to be a welder in trade school. I don't remember if he was able to live on base or just off base but he stayed with his uncle and aunt the first part of it. He was able to get a good job building the pipeline the very first week they started. He lived at the camps as they worked and stayed up there 3 full years until they finished. He never took any time off just mailed his money home, never drinked, drugs or gamble.When it was over around 1976 or so and he came home he stayed with his parents for 4 months then went down to Florida, bought a deep sea fishing boat and started taking people fishing. A year later married his highschool sweetheart and has been making a good living taking people fishing ever since. I think he retired a couple years ago
Good lord that sounds amazing.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk