Anyone hunt early ML in Kansas?

Labboy

Just booked a hunt for the 1st week of ML in Kansas. It is the 2nd week of September. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience hunting there that early. I have always wanted to go to Kansas and really look forward to letting the ol smokeless reach out. I am going with an outfitter and chose ML since it is so early and I wouldn't miss any hunting in TN. Thanks for any info of what to expect.

nwsg76

I went in 2014 and had a decent hunt. It will be hot and you will focus on afternoon sits. If your outfitter does his homework on patterns .... it can be a great hunt. If you get really lucky....you may catch a cool front.

Jmed

You will be hunting over a giant bait pile or a bean field during the early MZL hunt. and you will mainly focus on evening hunts. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

AT Hiker

I've been two years in a row early season. It's a tough hunt, killed one my first year and didn't pull the trigger this year.
This year everywhere I could hunt had standing corn so it's very tough to hunt that. I did find some green food sources that provided some opportunity at younger deer.
You can also use your Muzzleloader tag to go back and hunt the Dec rifle.
If your able to scout and locate the deer, early season can provide the best cHance at a nice mature deer.
The walk in areas in North Western KS are more upland bird habitat, which can be good late season but early season those deer seem to stay in all that standing corn and moving very little.
Your outfitter will likely have scouted and located the food source that should provide. Just know it's only active the first and last lights, so you will have some long hot days that can be boring if you don't have something planned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts