Anyone going to the meeting today?

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Same with me. If I happen to be in the office, and not out on a call, I intend to try to listen around noon when the blind issue is supposed to come up.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled

This was the morning session, not sure if they'll break it into another part. They just recessed for lunch until 1:00

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
They moved the year in review up and did it this morning to give more time for the rule making hearings this afternoon.

Hduke86

I will have to say after listening to the Marketing lady Ms. Jennifer about the increase of sales and targeted audience that I can see why we had so many people out and about in Tennessee. If you have time listen to her presentation cause she laid it out there very well and the numbers are crazy compared to previous years. Put it this way the raffle was the SECOND in the nation only behind Texas Dream hunts raffle and they only bet Tennessee by like $90,000 in revenue that was brought in from it.

Hduke86

Sounds like to me the commission truly needs to do more research before they pass anything.
You ain't kidding and HOLY MOLY, estimated Conservatively at $30,000 A FREAKING BLIND. Hey go ahead and spend that $1.2 MILLION on blinds. I surely wished they would spend $1.2 MILLION on more land which equals TRULY MORE OPPORTUNITIES but for the folks wanting a few days hunt out of the year they're going to spend insane amount of money that will probably largely go unused. What a joke

Headhunter

Wow, this is sad, bunch of politicians. They are pushing something through just for the sake of doing it and to look good to a small percentage of hunters.

Can you do this? yes. We asked the employees and they said yes. No data, no source of income, spending a pile of money on blinds, showing a video of a trashed duck blind that will most likely be what the state blinds will look like quickly. We randomly pick duck blinds to get rid of and keep others without consulting the hunters. What a sham the majority of the commission is and for sure looks like the "fix" was in long before today.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Wow, this is sad, bunch of politicians. They are pushing something through just for the sake of doing it and to look good to a small percentage of hunters.

Can you do this? yes. We asked the employees and they said yes. No data, no source of income, spending a pile of money on blinds, showing a video of a trashed duck blind that will most likely be what the state blinds will look like quickly. We randomly pick duck blinds to get rid of and keep others without consulting the hunters. What a sham the majority of the commission is and for sure looks like the "fix" was in long before today.
Yep

Hduke86

I was going to say "I'm amazed at the lack of knowledge" from the commissioners but I can't cause it's not surprising at all. I think I'm going to throw my hat in the ring for building $30k blinds a piece and have actually $10k in them

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
All but one or two comments from the crowd in favor of the changes, and in favor of going further....Gonna be an entertaining season, that's for sure. At least they moved the tier 3 blinds back to tier 1 for WMAs that have walk in/boat in areas(for now anyhow). But with the requirement to review blind tier at least every 2 years, TWRA sill have them all as tier 2 eventually. But holy cow, 30k a blind to build/brush and around 2k to brush each one every year thereafter.....

cmn

I was going to say "I'm amazed at the lack of knowledge" from the commissioners but I can't cause it's not surprising at all. I think I'm going to throw my hat in the ring for building $30k blinds a piece and have actually $10k in them
Metal blinds will last much longer than wooden home built ones. 75% of the funds are matched and the rest comes from the waterfowl enhancement funds.

casjoker

I got to watch most of the meeting. Thoughtful and heartfelt comments from both sides and everyone keeping it civil was great. I like the proposal to save the blind in Camden Bottoms (106) that has the drawing made of it, very thoughtful gesture.
I think the discussion on moving blinds around and the thought process/discussion showed there has been a good amount of research was done.
The survey in order to maintain draw eligibility was a good idea as well.
Surprised at the number of West TN people there in favor of the new proposals. From the comments on here, I figured 99% of West TN was against this.
$30,000 per blind! They must be the Biltmore of blinds.
The people who asked for the changes better show up and hunt.

Hduke86

I got to watch most of the meeting. Thoughtful and heartfelt comments from both sides and everyone keeping it civil was great. I like the proposal to save the blind in Camden Bottoms (106) that has the drawing made of it, very thoughtful gesture.
I think the discussion on moving blinds around and the thought process/discussion showed there has been a good amount of research was done.
The survey in order to maintain draw eligibility was a good idea as well.
Surprised at the number of West TN people there in favor of the new proposals. From the comments on here, I figured 99% of West TN was against this.
$30,000 per blind! They must be the Biltmore of blinds.
The people who asked for the changes better show up and hunt.
Yes saving blind 106 was a good and thoughtful move. It was all around well-mannered meeting. The post hunt survey is with good intentions but it's really just a "feel good move". Fill out a survey and either way "yes I hunted or no I didn't hunt a day" or not hunt a day but say you did and still be eligible for the next year draw. The points creep will be unreal after a while for sure. There were valid points made on both sides but holding a meeting like this with such a drastic change in regs and rules needs to be done on a weekend or later in the evening and maybe one in each region. It had a "push" type feel when twra was saying we can't delay and needed to get it passed so we can get started. Yes the cost is insane on the blinds and I don't see $30k in those "examples" they showed. It is what it is and I think we'll survive no matter which side of the proposal anyone is on but hopefully if something isn't working or is working they will act quickly on it and not just keep doing whatever just for the sake of a "survey or test"

Latest posts