• Help Support TNDeer:

Anyone farm?

eastTN270

This forum doesn't get a lot of traffic, but I wondered who does any farming.
I started farming last year when we finished building our house. I started with 7 bred angus cross heifers. Ended up with 6 calves and bought 2 more cows from a friend. With this year's calves so far I'm at 20 head.
Last summer I rebuilt some perimeter fence. This summer I rebuilt some more perimeter fence and then installed interior fencing.
There is so much to learn and it takes a ton of time, but I love it.

waynesworld

I had some cows and pigs but butchered all the pigs and sold cows cost too much and the time is not there with how much i was working. I might get a few cows at some point when i Semi retire. you get your ag exempt card?

eastTN270

waynesworld":kkgdoy49 said:
I had some cows and pigs but butchered all the pigs and sold cows cost too much and the time is not there with how much i was working. I might get a few cows at some point when i Semi retire. you get your ag exempt card?
Yes. Also learned that fence and fence material is not tax exempt.

Hunter 257W

I used to - well I still own a farm but no animals now, just hay and row crops. I sort of miss the cows but not the constant work they demand. Fences always needed attention. We had well over a mile of electric fence and part of it bordered woods or fencerows where something was always growing up on it or falling on it to ground out the fence. Maintaining multiple water troughs, multiple barns, feeding in multiple places every day all Winter losing a calf or two each year doing all the shots and castrating only to have beef prices drop just as you take them to market..... And if you want to go on vacation you have 100 empty guts and loud mouths that need somebody to come check on them. Somebody who can actually do something about it if things go wrong and that's hard to find.

Not trying to discourage you, there are a lot of positives with having cows if you are still younger and have the energy to do it. Especially if you have kids who will be getting old enough to help with the work in the next few years. I thought fencing costs were tax exempt?

nwsg76

Go see your local NRCS office... they can usually help with infrastructure development including cross fence, water source development, pasture seesing ,etc.

eastTN270

nwsg76":28krx6zq said:
Go see your local NRCS office... they can usually help with infrastructure development including cross fence, water source development, pasture seesing ,etc.
I did. I think that is the only way I could have got started with this. They cost shared on a well, pump, water line, waterers, cross fence, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something else. They have been a tremendous help and a wealth of information.

waynesworld

eastTN270":lrg3vnt3 said:
waynesworld":lrg3vnt3 said:
Yes. Also learned that fence and fence material is not tax exempt.

Just a heads up, permanent fence is not exempt. It is because of becoming part of real property. But temp fencing is exempt the problem is most places consider t post as permanent. If you buy elect wire and the boxes with stick in poles you can get it exempt. One problem is depending on where you are getting it. TSC is bad on error on the side of taxing it, some other places just ask or if you say it is exempt they take your word.

TX300mag

Small scale, but I love it.

We’re up to about 450 layers (counting young pullets), peak at processing 100 broilers/week average, dexter cattle, mini-Nubian dairy goats, Red Wattle pigs, meat rabbits, khaki Campbell ducks, geese, and I’m sure I’m forgetting some other critters.

Since we’ve gotten heavily into the proteins we’ve slacked on the produce, but still have fruit trees and forage in season to make jams/jellies to sell.

It’s fun with the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atcq1227

Just started raising some pigs, lambs, and chickens this year. We got 3 of the lambs at butchering age, so we went ahead and did those. One day hope to get some more acreage and do hay and cattle, and pasture the other animals as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Popcorn

Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Pasture feeder calves from April till october each year. No longer winter feed stock other than a few turkeys and chickens. Oversee 100 acre duck hole in Stewart County, 350 acres row crop ground in Trigg County KY, Double crop and care for about 80 acres of food plots plus 10+ acres of clover plots scattered about TN and KY and 125 acres of rough pasture ground in Putnam county. Its farming just not work. I would have enjoyed this a lot more if it had been my first career.

Labboy

I have cattle and way more hay than I care to talk about. But now it's over for a few months so I'll rest up in a tree stand!

Bodine270

I’m running 20 head of black angus and custom grazing another 27 head too. I just enjoy having cows and love always having a freezer full of home grown beef. I’ve started selling sides of beef to friends and family and make way more money than I was selling calves at auction. It’s my night and weekend job/hobby.

backyardtndeer

First calf of the year froze to death Monday.

Bad timing, got them in the barn and warmed up the calf and left them. Nice little 60 lb bwf heifer was up and looked good. Bright and alert, standing good ready to nurse. Some time after I left, after the heavy snow moved back in, the momma cow took calf in tow back out of the barn. By the time I got back down to check them again, just couple hours after I had last been down there, it was too late. Once the ground thaws, got to dig a hole.

Between 5 momma cows and 4 heifers, hopefully will have some start putting calves on the ground soon.

Latest posts