mossyoakmantn

mossyoakmantn

I thought id try it lol
262efc9c9f520c1108bd08006b8b52fb.jpg
ca379f28219a5d13e5ae324ea0804c31.jpg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

fairchaser

fairchaser

Pretty cool. I used a cattle type feeder post season with poultry netting hanging down to snag antlers but never got any. I hear you should be careful because you can permanently damage the pedicil. Let us know if it works.

cbhunter

cbhunter

Supporter
That’s some pretty fancy ingenuity there! Lol good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bone Collector

Bone Collector

Supporter
I've always chickened out, because I heard you can damage the pedicle.

mossyoakmantn

mossyoakmantn

Heck I figured I'd give it a shot. I made sure I used bungee cords so they can get out of it if the antlers aren't quite ready to come off.

Jmed

Jmed

Our former state big game biologist posted some pics on the FB page that showed deer that had died from such traps. Just not worth it to me.

E

eddie c

a couple of years ago when I was in S. Texas on a turkey hunt, I rode around with the owner midday when he was adding the protein pellets to his deer feeders. he uses concrete reinforcing mats to build his fences around the feeders to keep the hogs out. has it built up 6' high. that's where he collects his antler sheds. when the bucks jump over the fence, if it's time for the antler to fall off, the jarring of the landing will make it fall off.

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter
I used to build them and they did work.

I would start like in the picture with logs on the ground build in a "box" shape with 4 corner posts sticking up. I would pour corn in the box and leave it like that 2-3 weeks in Jan to get the deer to use it and know where the corn is. Feb 1 I would go back and build 4 rails on the corner posts about 2- 2 1/2 feet above the logs. I would then put branches across the rails to keep the deer from eating the corn from above. They would have to stick their heads UNDER the rails where their antlers would hit the rails if they were ready to come off they would fall right there. The 2 - 2 1/2feet between the rails and the logs was to allow them room to get their heads out if their antlers were not ready to fall off, I did not want to force anything off that was not ready. We got a bunch of antlers over the years. We quit doing it once the game cameras came out and that's what we run today.

mossyoakmantn

mossyoakmantn

Wildcat":yp04md0q said:
I used to build them and they did work.

I would start like in the picture with logs on the ground build in a "box" shape with 4 corner posts sticking up. I would pour corn in the box and leave it like that 2-3 weeks in Jan to get the deer to use it and know where the corn is. Feb 1 I would go back and build 4 rails on the corner posts about 2- 2 1/2 feet above the logs. I would then put branches across the rails to keep the deer from eating the corn from above. They would have to stick their heads UNDER the rails where their antlers would hit the rails if they were ready to come off they would fall right there. The 2 - 2 1/2feet between the rails and the logs was to allow them room to get their heads out if their antlers were not ready to fall off, I did not want to force anything off that was not ready. We got a bunch of antlers over the years. We quit doing it once the game cameras came out and that's what we run today.
That's a great idea

GOHUNT

GOHUNT

I did out of 2”x4” weld wire fence then poured some corn around it. All I got on camera was a mating pair of coons...for hours!