Anyone ever hunt in moccasin type footwear?

B

BlackBelt

I went squirrel hunting today in some 15 year old boots that I havent worn in at least 12 years. I made it about a mile from my truck before the sole came off one boot.

I've been down this road before so I headed back towards the truck but only made it about 30 yards before the other sole came off the other boot. There was a layer of dry rotted foam left on the bottoms of the boots so it was a lot like wearing moccasins.

But what really struck me was how much more quiet walking through dry leaves was compared to wearing the boots with their hard rubber soles.

That got me thinking about maybe trying out hunting in moccasin boots but figured I would ask here first about others experiences.

Any thoughts, ideas or help?

U

Urban_Hunter

Seems like it would be very hard on your feet, stepping on roots, sticks, and rocks with little to no support

Chaneylake

Chaneylake

I did not wear them but Mule deer hunted in Grand Junction Colorado with a couple of locals that did, they stated that once the bottom of your feet toughen up that it's a no brainer, they could move around quieter than a snow flake falling to the ground, this was in 1985

S

Smo

I have worn center seams made by Poppin Moccasins in Sevierville Tn.

Hand made to fit your foot, padded double stitched sole.

They are quiet, but I’ve got a pair of Red Head leather uppers / rubber soled boots that are just above ankle high
that are just as quiet . Plus your feet never get wet .... unless you go in over ankle deep . LOL

E

eddie c

I have heard that as long as the terrain is flat, no problems but if you had to climb out of a muddy ditch or go uphill on wet leaves there's no traction.