Anyone Else Preparing / Fueling up for Cold Weather

GOHUNT

GOHUNT

I went today and filled up 1 jug of kerosene, 2 gas cans and 3 propane cylinders. Set me back about $76! I couldn’t believe how expensive kerosene is, $3.39 per gallon! I hope we don’t have an extended power outage but I’d rather have this stuff and not need it than need it and not have it.
Are you ready?

woodyard

woodyard

I bought kerosene the other day for 4.65, not many choices around .

D

DMD

Glad you posted this. I've been intending to get some gasoline for my generator and have let it slip my mind. I am already behind, as I had to order some large gas cans. But, after reading this thread, I ordered 2 five gallon cans, new spouts and will fill the cans with gas when they arrive on Tuesday, good Lord willing. Thanks. BUT, I'm good on heat - I've got about 20+ rick of wood, and two ventless gas heaters I use for emergencies.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

M

Mike Belt

I just got my unit fixed from Christmas Eve and stacked up some wood on the back porch. I'm ready for it.

pressfit

pressfit

I'm getting a whole house generator wired up shortly!! Bought it some time ago and just now wiring it in..

FTG-05

FTG-05

Filled the day rack on our front porch with well seasoned firewood plus the hearth in front of our wood stove (Englander 30-NCH). I was going to refill the dump bed of my RTV with more firewood, but my hands got freezing cold (while the rest of me was sweating). I'll refill the RTV tomorrow, it's supposed to around 44 F tomorrow as a high. I have somewhere between 12 and 16 cords of wood, so I'm good for several years. :party:

Ladys man

Ladys man

I split wood off and on all yr for exercise but give it to the neighbors for there stove and they always say we are welcome so I’ll be nice and toasty

Big Ben

Big Ben

I bought and hauled in 25 40 pound bags of pellets for the stove today. We go thru around a bag a day with the temps we have been getting. Cost me $3.19 a bag. Got 10 gallon of pure gas with stable in it for the generator if the power goes out

BamaProud

BamaProud

Supporter
Monday and Tuesday look like the coldest days:
lIMmCIy.png

ZTproqO.png

D

Duck dogn

Got about a Rick of wood and a nice pot belly heater in my shed but my house has no backup!

Tennessee Lead

Tennessee Lead

Got plenty of wood and had gas meter hooked up last week
Can't get unit to ignite so I reckon my wife has someone coming tomorrow to look at it.
Been waiting for another guy since the day it was installed...
always had wood only but looking forward to a back up source

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy S.

Andy S.

A friend of mine is a plumber, I expect he will be busy as a three legged cat. Local news suggesting about 90 straight hours with temps below freezing, which is prime "pipe freezing" weather for those who do not take the right precautionary measures.

My preparation will be opening the cabinets under the sink, letting the water trickle, turning faucets on wide open every now and then, and showing my wife where the main water shut off valve is.

H

Hunter 257W

Don't have to worry about heat with a full 250 gallons of propane to run the gas logs. Also just re-melted all our emergency candles and put new wicks in them a couple weeks ago so light is available. Have plenty of batteries for flashlights and lantern. Cooking is my only weak area but could be handled on the gas grill. I love cold cereal on the other hand though and could live a week eating nothing else if required. :)

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter
Sounds like everybody has their houses ready. What about their trucks and cars?

Not only do I check everything like coolant with the temp gauge but I also check my battery to see if it's still holding the right charges, as batteries age they hold less and less making it hard as heck to start in the bad cold. That's the very reason I keep one of those jump starters under my seat. I check everything , all fluid levels and tires. I also have some rolled up coveralls, winter gloves, heavy wool socks and boots as well as a headcover. You never know, I could end up in a dich or stopped helping someone else.