Anyone else hunt in unit CWD but live outside it?

Realtree56

Just curious of other peoples experience…. Live in East Tn but have been heading west
Several weekends a year to prep/hunt for almost 20 years. My county out there just got added to the high risk list… we killed a couple last weekend, waiting on testing before eating…. Just curious how it's been going for anyone else in the same situation

gatodoc

I live in Harriman but hunt a lot in Fayette county right near the epicenter. We process our own deer so we remove the heads and drop them at the TWRA freezers. Debone the meat and take it home. I'll let it age in fridge for 10 days. If no report I freeze in quarters until get test results then if negative partially thaw and process and refreeze.

Fortunately the 7 we had tested last year were all negative but I know of positives from less than a mile away.

Bucket

I do and we just donate our deer now. Too many hoops to jump through if you killed a deer and needed to head home soon. I have family I can leave a buck skull with, or drop off with a taxidermist. I'm not afraid of consuming the meat, but I do want to follow TWRA guidelines.

Latest posts