Anybody Utilize the TWRA for Guidance?

Weegee

If you follow this link: https://www.tn.gov/content/tn/twra/wildlife/habitat.html#assistance there is contact information for biologists with the TWRA and the USDA. Has anyone on here utilized their services? I'd like to have someone who does it for a living give my father and I some advice on how to improve habitat on his land. I emailed Clint Borum a couple days ago, but haven't heard anything so far.

DoubleRidge

I've worked with our Forester with a focus on wildlife habitat....hadn't worked directly with TWRA but did recently read about the opportunity in the Tennessee Wildlife winter issue magazine..... sounds interesting and looks like a good opportunity to learn more about habitat improvements....good luck on your project.... enjoy the process....it can be very rewarding.

wildlifefarmer

If you follow this link: https://www.tn.gov/content/tn/twra/wildlife/habitat.html#assistance there is contact information for biologists with the TWRA and the USDA. Has anyone on here utilized their services? I'd like to have someone who does it for a living give my father and I some advice on how to improve habitat on his land. I emailed Clint Borum a couple days ago, but haven't heard anything so far.
I have worked with TWRA, USDA, TN Forest Deptment and Us forest dept. All of them were very helpful. This was about 7 years ago. After meeting with them, we hired a forrester to draw up a management plan. Then started the plan and even did some of the cost share projects. All has gone well and we are still in contact with them.

Clint is a good guy that will help you but he is busy busy! Take your time he will get back you. It may help, if you contact your local USDA field office to get a on site field meeting with USDA and TWRA to discuss what direction you want to go into and to discuss what programs you might get going.

Enjoy the ride and smell the wildflowers because this is or should be a multi year project that will help all the critteres.

DoubleRidge

I have worked with TWRA, USDA, TN Forest Deptment and Us forest dept. All of them were very helpful. This was about 7 years ago. After meeting with them, we hired a forrester to draw up a management plan. Then started the plan and even did some of the cost share projects. All has gone well and we are still in contact with them.

Clint is a good guy that will help you but he is busy busy! Take your time he will get back you. It may help, if you contact your local USDA field office to get a on site field meeting with USDA and TWRA to discuss what direction you want to go into and to discuss what programs you might get going.

Enjoy the ride and smell the wildflowers because this is or should be a multi year project that will help all the critteres.

This is similar to the route we took.... working with our Forester...after he wrote our management plan he connected us with the USDA office....and helped us with the application process for the NRCS grant program....our focus at the time was on timber stand improvement and the creation of two new plot areas....great opportunity for cost sharing......but I haven't tapped into the opportunity to work with the TWRA biologist yet.... reading about it sounds like a good opportunity though.....we thoroughly enjoyed the process of working with our Forester and continue too communicate with him today for guidance on various ongoing projects and ideas for the future projects...like you mentioned....it's an ongoing process.

PatBoCam

I just used the contacts listed in the link you have there back in December. TWRA partners with USDA and several other organizations to provide habitat management assistance. One of the biologists came out and looked at the property with us for several hours. First he focused on understanding our goals for the property. Then we rode around and he evaluated what we were working with. He identified several invasive species we otherwise wouldn't have known were an issue. He discussed the different funding assistance programs and our likelihood of qualifying and whether they would be worth the paperwork for us. After the site visit he wrote up and 5 or 6 page management plan with his recommendations, maps, etc. Overall it was a great experience especially considering it didnt cost us anything directly. Definitely would recommend. Not saying it covers everything but it is a good place to start.

Weegee

OK, thanks for the feedback. It's good to know that others have done it, I'll try to be patient while I await a response.

BSK

When it comes to working with a forester, just make sure they have considerable experience drawing up timber management plans where wildlife habitat is the focus. Most forestry programs teach students how to maximize timber value over the long-term. However, what is best for timber value is not always what is best for wildlife habitat. If a forester understands both of these issues, he/she can explain the differences and work with you on a compromise between the two types of timber management.

Last edited:

DoubleRidge

When it comes to working with a forester, just make sure they have considerable experiencing drawing up timber management plans where wildlife habitat is the focus. Most forestry programs teach students how to maximize timber value over the long-term. However, what is best for timber value is not always what is best for wildlife habitat. If a forester understands both of these issues, he/she can explain the differences and work with you on a compromise between the two types of timber management.

Great point BSK!

At our very first meeting with our Forester honestly I was nervous....a big timber harvest isn't something the average person does multiple times in their life and I wasn't sure what to expect?......then when he pulled up I noticed a QDMA & NWTF decal in his truck window....that settled my nerves a little...and during one of our very first conversations he asked what our goals were?.... maximum profit? Sustainability? Wildlife habitat management? Or what?.....after we answered these questions and after many hours of conversation and hours walking the property he developed a timber management plan that met our goals....and his management plan spelled out clearly the steps that were being taken to benefit wildlife.....he also made recommendations for future improvements....and he took the time to explain why he was recommending each step......this process started in 2019 and wrapped up in 2020....I still stay in contact with him today....he's a hunter and land manager himself so we were on the same page with our ideas and goals..... absolutely a great experience....no regrets.

Weegee

When it comes to working with a forester, just make sure they have considerable experience drawing up timber management plans where wildlife habitat is the focus. Most forestry programs teach students how to maximize timber value over the long-term. However, what is best for timber value is not always what is best for wildlife habitat. If a forester understands both of these issues, he/she can explain the differences and work with you on a compromise between the two types of timber management.
Excellent information, thanks! Hoping to hear back soon.

rukiddin

They were invaluable to me when it came to enrolling part of my property in EQUIP program. Very knowledgeable and professional.

Latest posts