Anybody seen an alligator snapper in TN?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I can't say for 100% sure I have ever seen one.
I read an article, or saw a show on tv one, I can't remember, about a guy that hunted them for food as well as sport.
He killed one and when he skinned it out he found an actual indian arrowhead imbedded in the shell.
He said after that he swore he would never kill another one and started putting all of his efforts into preserving them.

JimFromTN

35 yrs ago, there used to be some in Cedar Hill Lake in Cedar Hill Park on Old Hickory Blvd in Madison TN just north of Nashville. They were massive. They had to be over 3 feet long. Once people realized they were there, they tried to catch them. I heard they killed them all out of the lake. They would catch them, pull them up on shore, kill them, and then just walk away leaving them there to rot.

FTG-05

I *think* I saw on on Hwy 53 near Harvest, AL last summer crossing the road. By the time I got up to it and saw what it was, I couldn't stop or pull over due to traffic. Prolly should have pulled in Clark's F*S and gone back. It was one big sucker!

ETA: I saw this smaller turtle near Dellrose, TN last summer (late July). I *think* it's just a regular snapper though. I'll let the experts decide.

Pics:

b0mNwSm.jpg

p0P7h2q.jpg

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
RUGER":sarebns4 said:
I read an article, or saw a show on tv one, I can't remember, about a guy that hunted them for food as well as sport.
He killed one and when he skinned it out he found an actual indian arrowhead imbedded in the shell.
He said after that he swore he would never kill another one and started putting all of his efforts into preserving them.

I spent about an hour researching yesterday evening and I am gonna call BS on myself on the arrowhead deal.
Guess I had a bad acid trip back in the 60's or something because I can't find a hint of an arrowhead ever being found in a turtle shell.

Obviously instead of seeing or reading it myself I am remembering a tale told to me by someone else.

CBU93

DOn't be so hard on yourself Ruger...Google is your friend...Marty Stoufer's Wild America on turtles lists this story as coming from Al Redmund, so you are not crazy. Look it up.

BlackEagle1

I caught a monster back in the spring, but that's the only one I have seen in Tennessee. I actually sent all the info and video to Rob.

WTM

i have seen them in benton and henry county. there are two pastures right before you get into Paris on 641 with a pond on each side of the road. one was crossing the highway to get to the other pond.

west sandy, in camden, there are a few around sawyers mill. there are some drainage ponds and pools around the sand pit that they have been seen in.

youd be surprised how many people dont know the difference and that they are endangered.

cbhunter

:rotf: :super:
RUGER":1c9uhbru said:
RUGER":1c9uhbru said:

I spent about an hour researching yesterday evening and I am gonna call BS on myself on the arrowhead deal.
Guess I had a bad acid trip back in the 60's or something because I can't find a hint of an arrowhead ever being found in a turtle shell.

Obviously instead of seeing or reading it myself I am remembering a tale told to me by someone else.

hillbillyfab

I've seen them in the Duck on more than one occasion. I'm thinking a big one was caught by some locals a few years back. They didn't know they were endangered and I believe got a fine.

Mike Belt

I remember seeing one captured from the Ms River I believe on TV a few years back. They were turning him lose again. If memory serves me well I think at the time they said he was about 95 years old.

chris1976

There is a preserved one at Austin peay science building. It was caught in ky lake, weighed over 150lbs and they recovered a 38 cal slug from the shell. Pretty large critter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sako

I had one in my yard this year... I live in west knox county not far from Melton Hill. seen a few here and there over the last few years...

catman529

FTG-05":3ebksr1w said:
I *think* I saw on on Hwy 53 near Harvest, AL last summer crossing the road. By the time I got up to it and saw what it was, I couldn't stop or pull over due to traffic. Prolly should have pulled in Clark's F*S and gone back. It was one big sucker!

ETA: I saw this smaller turtle near Dellrose, TN last summer (late July). I *think* it's just a regular snapper though. I'll let the experts decide.

Pics:

b0mNwSm.jpg

p0P7h2q.jpg
That is a common snapping turtle... caught many of them myself

I have never seen an alligator snapper in person. But if I did I sure would take lots of pics. And I think I would tell TWRA too, I think they want to know about it since they aren't common here

Tennessee280

pretty sure I saw one in drakes creek on old hickory this summer, never seen one like it before.. it looked gnarly as could be

Latest posts