Anybody here have a pitbull?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackBelt

This past weekend I was working out at my farm outside of Memphis cutting down vines and small trees out of a thicket. My girlfriend came out and was watching when she said, "Baby, there's a huge pitbull about 25 feet from you in the woods."

I couldn't see the dog because of all the trees and vines, but I peeked around a few tree trunks and there was a neighbors pit that had gotten out of their backyard.

The pit started baring his teeth and growling at me. I knew not to move fast or turn around, so I reached into my pocket and got my keys and threw them backwards to my girlfriend and told her "Get my Glock out of my truck...but walk backwards very quickly."

By this time the dog had started inching closer, and I pulled my pocket knife out and flicked it open in my right hand, and had my Fiskers tree saw in my left. The dog seemed like he was sizing me up. I'm figuring if he charges I'll zip him with the saw in my left hand and try to get my knife blade into his neck with my right while stepping off the line of attack and to the side and then just keep stabbing him in the neck and torso until he's dead or runs off. But I know, just as Mike Tyson said, "everybody got a plan, until they get hit in the mouth"...

I give a quick look back at my girlfriend and she was digging through my truck (about 50 feet away) trying to find my handgun. I guess I should have been more specific about it's location.

Suddenly the dog charges and I just stand my ground waiting for him to bite into me and the stabbing will begin, but he stopped about 2 feet from me and peeled off to the side and went about 10 feet away and kept growling at me.

I guess that's what they call a "false charge", like a bear will do.

Anyway, then I heard some kids calling for him, and I hollered at them to come get their dog, which they did.

My question: is that normal behaviour for a pit? I've never had one, but if its normal, I'll be keeping a handgun on me from now on.

BTW, I'm really glad I didn't have to kill the dog, especially since the kids that he belonged too were not too far away.
But I need to know more about this breed if I'm going to be facing this type of threat.

Any suggestions or advice or education you can give me?

DaveB

One will roll over and want his belly scratched, the next one will go for your throat. It is no wonder they are being specially licensed or banned in some areas (Miami if I recall).

My Brother had one from a pup and at one year old it destroyed a teddy bear my brother had hugged. Dog was put down the next day.

For a sad commentary, just google up pit bull attacks.

Hunter 257W

I can't understand why anybody would want the huge financial risk of being sued for everything they own because of a dog. There are hundreds of breeds of dogs to choose from and endless mixed breed dogs available - why would anybody WANT such a high risk breed?

Now having said that, we had a pitbull thrown out at the farm a few years back. It was about 1 year old and male. That was the most irritatingly over friendly dog I have ever seen. It was all over me slobbering and wanting attention every time I left the house. Reminded me of the Looney Tunes characters who would follow the little boss dog around calling him "George" telling everybody how great "George" was. I was George and in that dogs eyes, I could do no wrong and he wanted to be with me every second of his life. :)

randy

DaveB said:
One will roll over and want his belly scratched, the next one will go for your throat. It is no wonder they are being specially licensed or banned in some areas (Miami if I recall).

My Brother had one from a pup and at one year old it destroyed a teddy bear my brother had hugged. Dog was put down the next day.

For a sad commentary, just google up pit bull attacks.
Exactly. You just cant trust them.

89cherokeelimited

One misconception of pits. MOST attacks reported by pits once a DNA test is done the DNA shows no signs of pit in the blood.
People always just point aggressive with pits.
I have a mutt that looks like a few number of dogs and he is 4. He is the most stubborn dog EVER. I have 3 pitbulls / aka American Bully. They are registered UKC as American PitBull Terrier and ABKC as American Bully.
My wife and I breed them and they prove time and time again to be MUCH better dogs then German sheperds, ST Bernards, Labs, and others.

Most of the time people look at a dog and if it shows it's teeth they instantly say "IT'S A PIT" (when it's actually mutt) pretty much profiling and just listening to the media on pit attacks.
Have you looked up German Sheperd attacks? They are pretty bad. Rottweiler attacks?
It's profiling a dog type when every single breed can turn out the same. It's all in the way they are raised.

All 8 pits we have ever had LOVES playing with kids and other animals. The kids and other kids grab their ears and tails and jump on them and pull their lips. My mutt on the other hand is fine with kids but hates his tail and lips being pulled.

RUGER

Supporter
Sure am glad it turned out good for all involved.

I will refrain from further comment as it deals with beliefs and you can't argue beliefs.

Just real glad it turned out ok.

SES

Dogs are animals. I don't trust any of them. People who leave children alone with them should be charged with endangerment.

Unicam

Administrator
89cherokeelimited said:
One misconception of pits. MOST attacks reported by pits once a DNA test is done the DNA shows no signs of pit in the blood.
People always just point aggressive with pits.
I have a mutt that looks like a few number of dogs and he is 4. He is the most stubborn dog EVER. I have 3 pitbulls / aka American Bully. They are registered UKC as American PitBull Terrier and ABKC as American Bully.
My wife and I breed them and they prove time and time again to be MUCH better dogs then German sheperds, ST Bernards, Labs, and others.

Most of the time people look at a dog and if it shows it's teeth they instantly say "IT'S A PIT" (when it's actually mutt) pretty much profiling and just listening to the media on pit attacks.
Have you looked up German Sheperd attacks? They are pretty bad. Rottweiler attacks?
It's profiling a dog type when every single breed can turn out the same. It's all in the way they are raised.

I have an 85 lb American Bulldog and everyone who sees him calls him a Pit. Have a friend with a 100 lb Cane Corso and everyone calls him a pit. I have learned since owning my AB that most people assosiate the head and big chest with Pits, no matter the breed or the size.

BlountArrow

Hunter 257W said:
I can't understand why anybody would want the huge financial risk of being sued for everything they own because of a dog. There are hundreds of breeds of dogs to choose from and endless mixed breed dogs available - why would anybody WANT such a high risk breed?

I couldn't agree more. And, for the record, regardless of how they are raised, the genetics of the dog remain unchanged. For one, their ability to bite and not let go is just remarkable.

89cherokeelimited

This is some of our pits.
None of them have ever showed their teeth nor ever even barked or growled at someone even strangers that came in our house.

71729_524118630972715_2080976686_n.jpg

317925_500470193337559_82645169_n.jpg

556328_488851857832726_257124016_n.jpg

SES

Poser said:
SES said:
Dogs are animals. I don't trust any of them. People who leave children alone with them should be charged with endangerment.

Oh, give me a freakin' break.
Sorry. I'm the dog hatenest person on the face of the earth. I know they do a lot of good for a lot of people, I just ain't one of them. Dogs are to me what spiders are to Ruger.

89cherokeelimited

Poser said:
Question, though, for the proponents of banning pitbulls. What about having/using/training them for hog hunting?

Well they are trying to make owners get atleast a $25,000.00 insurance policy not quite ban them.
Some states and counties do ban them but the big issue right now is trying to make us get a insurance policy.
I'm afraid my wife's Pomeranian will bite someone faster then any of my pits too.

Dbllunger

Supporter
89cherokeelimited said:
Poser said:
Question, though, for the proponents of banning pitbulls. What about having/using/training them for hog hunting?

Well they are trying to make owners get atleast a $25,000.00 insurance policy not quite ban them.
Some states and counties do ban them but the big issue right now is trying to make us get a insurance policy.
I'm afraid my wife's Pomeranian will bite someone faster then any of my pits too.

This may be true but when is the last time someone was mauled to death by a pomeranian.

randy

ferg said:
89cherokeelimited said:
This is some of our pits.
None of them have ever showed their teeth nor ever even barked or growled at someone even strangers that came in our house.

71729_524118630972715_2080976686_n.jpg

317925_500470193337559_82645169_n.jpg

556328_488851857832726_257124016_n.jpg

Just a bunch of big sweeties !!!!!!

:)
They just got tired from chasing all the neighbor hood kids.

ferg

SES said:
Poser said:
SES said:

Oh, give me a freakin' break.
Sorry. I'm the dog hatenest person on the face of the earth. I know they do a lot of good for a lot of people, I just ain't one of them. Dogs are to me what spiders are to Ruger.

This is just sad - to miss the unqualified love a dog brings to a human/dog relationship - something not a single person should miss at least once in their life -

I understand SES and I'm not berating you in anyway shape or form, it's just that if you could hook up with that one puppy in the pound someday, your life would FOREVER be changed for the better.

I guarantee it -

89cherokeelimited

BlountArrow said:
Hunter 257W said:

I couldn't agree more. And, for the record, regardless of how they are raised, the genetics of the dog remain unchanged. For one, their ability to bite and not let go is just remarkable.

That is just profiling breeds.
Rottweiler bite force was 328-350 lbs
Pitbull pressure bite was 235 lbs
German Shepherd bite was 238-850 lbs
Bulldog bite was 305 lbs
dutch shepherd 235 lbs
tosa inu was 556 lbs
Great danes about 750lbs
All i'm saying is it's bad enough people judge other people but when people who don't know the breed and spread around rumors is just as bad.
Pitbulls are FAR from the strongest biters of dogs.
The "lock jaw" myth is from pro filers as well.
It's harder to break a German Shepherds and Great danes bite then Pitbulls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts