Anybody have the Arctic Shield Boot Covers ?

Tenn.Guy

My feet freeze regardless of what I try. My boots are 800gr and still freeze. I'm just wondering if they work and are worth the money ? Thanks

BMan

I have the same problem you do, and got a pair for Christmas. However, the only two times I hunted after Christmas was in the afternoon, so I never even put them on.

They're in the bag for next year, though!

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
I have some that I use ocasionially.Really cold morning with frost on the ground or if the north wind is blowing.
If you're freezing with 800 gram boots.You might need to evaluate a few things. Are the boots too tight cutting off good cirulation ??Are you wearing WOOL socks making your feet sweat??
I have found over the years several pairs of lighter socks work better than one very heavy pair.The 1st layer should have some silk or polyproelene in it to WICK the sweat away from your feet.Like holstonangler I use some handwarmers they will help alot when it gets real cold.

BMan

WestTn Huntin'man said:
I have some that I use ocasionially.Really cold morning with frost on the ground or if the north wind is blowing.
If you're freezing with 800 gram boots.You might need to evaluate a few things. Are the boots too tight cutting off good cirulation ??Are you wearing WOOL socks making your feet sweat??
I have found over the years several pairs of lighter socks work better than one very heavy pair.The 1st layer should have some silk or polyproelene in it to WICK the sweat away from your feet.Like holstonangler I use some handwarmers they will help alot when it gets real cold.
I can't speak for TnAndy, but I've done everything you've mentioned and my feet still freeze. I don't know if it's the way I sit in my stand that cuts off circulation to my feet, or if I am just cold blooded by nature.

Either way, it stinks.

Tenn.Guy

I have tried everything but the boot covers. I have changed socks once at my stand to a dry lightweight pair with wool over them. I have even went back with wool socks over boots. STILL FREEZE. That is usually what ends up cutting my morning hunt short on a cold morning. I have also put hand warmers in, they help, for a little while.

Thanks for the info on the arctic shields. My feet freeze like an old womans, so I think they will be a good investment.

J.Maples

Just to answer the question and not give advice, they worked for me in Ohio when it was 9 degrees. Killed a nice 8 pointer @ 10:30 am , by then it had warmed to 22 degrees. Yes they work.

tater head

same problem here, my feet freeze in bow season :)

they are bulky , that sucks, but if its cold and im hunting out of the blind, I actually pull my boots OFF , throw a handwarmer in , and pop them on over my socks !!!! comfy, you would be amazed !!

Winchester

They work very well, the key is to put them on BEFORE your feet get cold, as they retain your body heat! Once your feet are already freezing its too late.

Rackseeker

Winchester said:
They work very well, the key is to put them on BEFORE your feet get cold, as they retain your body heat! Once your feet are already freezing its too late.

This is the key to the ASBCs. Since I've went to larger boot size and a quality pair of socks, I never use the ASBCs.

DMD

I like them. I like to wear a lighter pair of boots with less insulation. Then, when I get to the stand, either take the boots off and slip handwarmers in the Boot covers, or put them on over the boot and slip handwarmers in the boot covers. Either way, they work really well.

TNHunter2521

My daughter bought me a pair last Christmas and I used them during the second half of our deer season and duck season, and didn't suffer at all. I also put a foot warmer into the Artic Shield and had no problems keeping my feet comfortable. For the cost, they work very well.

de novo

Boot warmers + Hand warmers = Comfortable Feet

I also pull off my boots and put on the AS with a handwarmer. Only complaint is they are a little noisy.

Methane

You can't go wrong with a good pair of Merino wool socks. They do keep your feet dry and they are soft and warm. I used to have cold feet problems and got a pair of 2000 gram boots from Cabela's. They are like a pac boot, but a heck of a lot more comfortable than a traditional pac boot and you can walk for miles in them. I think its the predator 2000. I hated the thougth of spending $150+ on a pair of boots I might only wear a couple of times per season, but it is money well spent. On those cold days I can concentrate on hunting instead of being miserable fidgeting around with cold toes.

Arse

When I first got my ASBCs I thought they were junk because my feet still froze.

It was only later that I learned the #1 cause of cold feet: My boot + sock combination was too tight.

I went to a thin-walled Merino wool sock and kept the same 800g Rocky boot. When I get to the stand I loosen the laces. Not just untie them, but LOOSEN them all the way down to the bottom eyelets and then pull back on the boot so it is not squeezing the top of my foot.

Most days this is all I need, but on the really cold days I will put on the Artic Shields and they work like a charm.

Latest posts