Anybody ever try

Backstrapcrazy

OL Drop Tyne Doe to Door scent, was thinking of trying it ; $35 for 4 oz shipped and only good for about a week and half even keeping in cool dark place. Not sure how weather is going to be at that time I would use it ( 1st and 2nd week of November). Always have used Tinks 69 and have had success dragging to my stand, thought I may try other methods with
it this year as well, so wondered if any have tried it?

Matador

Havent tried it and at that price probably wont because I have also had some success with Tinks on a doe decoy. I think scents are like deer calls sometimes they work and sometines the deer run the other way.

Mike Belt

My opinion.... For 20+ years I used almost every scent/lure/cover scent on the market with several different dispersal systems. Do they work? Yes, at certain times and in certain situations. Do they work a viable percentage of the time enough to justify the price and work involved in employment? No. Do I still use them? Sparingly or not at all.

Deer react to the stimulus of sight, sound, and smell and each is unique. If a deer sees a hunter it's pretty much game over. Sometimes though, it's what a deer doesn't see that may spook him. When using any deer scent and in particular in an open area where visibility is long range, if a deer is attracted to it he expects to see a deer. When he doesn't he automatically becomes suspicious especially if he's been duped before. Game over and likely he won't respond to it again. The same can be said for sound as evident in rattling. When a buck responds to rattling done in an open area he expects to see and possibly scent another deer. When he doesn't suspicion again and likely game over. Both of these scenarios point to the fact that scent usage is better served in thicker areas where sight distance is a factor. The exception might be when using one in conjunction with a decoy in an open area. Primary is a deer's nose. That's why scents work in the first place... or don't. Consider that there are millions of bottled scents on the market and just how many hunters in your area might be using the same scent (even if it is a reputable one). Just how did they go about releasing it and how many deer did they alert in doing so? For instance, how many hunters poured an estrous scent into a nearby scrape and how meticulous were they in covering their own scent while doing so? Let's say they got no response. Later on after cover of darkness a buck comes cruising through and picks up on it. He checks it out. Two things can happen. He could pick up on the hunter's scent which instantly puts him on alert. Even if he didn't and only smells the estrous scent used there is no trail from a doe coming or going from the scrape. This also serves to put him on alert. For this reason, when using a scent I never do so without being able to completely remove it after my hunt. A hunter can do everything right and be unaware that he's already tipped the deer off for the next day's hunt.

The use of scents is circumstantial. Timing, employment, location... all factors. For instance, you don't use an estrous scent a month before the rut begins. You take extreme caution when employing scent. Dispersal is better from an average height of 3 feet versus ground level. Dispersal location as well as hunter location while in use is critical. The only control a hunter has is over his own actions and not those of previous local hunters. This may be the biggest downfall of scent usage. So again, can scents work? Definitely! Are they worth using? For the most part, NO! But when they do work it's a thing of beauty.

jotahech

The use of scents is circumstantial. Timing, employment, location... all factors. For instance, you don't use an estrous scent a month before the rut begins. You take extreme caution when employing scent. Dispersal is better from an average height of 3 feet versus ground level. Dispersal location as well as hunter location while in use is critical. The only control a hunter has is over his own actions and not those of previous local hunters. This may be the biggest downfall of scent usage. So again, can scents work? Definitely! Are they worth using? For the most part, NO! But when they do work it's a thing of beauty.
Mike Belt

I agree

Latest posts