Any used Cougar Claw treestands?

JeepKuntry

JeepKuntry

Just curious if anybody has feedback. I think I'm going to go with the Lone Wolf Wide Sit n Climb, but the CC stand intrigues me. If you have used one, let me know your thoughts.

Also, if anybody knows of a place for discounted rates on Lone Wolf, let me know that as well.

M

Mike Belt

I have an old Cougar Claw stand. At the time it was one of the most solid stands on the market but since then there are better stands for the money. It's also a heavy stand.

D

Dr2kill

I've got one from back in the early 90's. It's a heavy stand, after adding a huge seat pad to it I could sit in it all day. I don't use it as much since I got an API grandstand supreme.

JeepKuntry

JeepKuntry

Thanks. Guess I'll stick with Lone Wolf. Have an APi now. Owned 2 Summits and didn't like either.

JimFromTN

JimFromTN

Dr2kill":qlqpj42y said:
I've got one from back in the early 90's. It's a heavy stand, after adding a huge seat pad to it I could sit in it all day. I don't use it as much since I got an API grandstand supreme.

I think I had the same thing. Seemed like it was a clone of a summit. It was one of the more comfortable tree stands of its time.

D

DMD

JeepKuntry":3ge2zhbe said:
Thanks. Guess I'll stick with Lone Wolf. Have an APi now. Owned 2 Summits and didn't like either.

Just curious...not trying to start a debate, I was just wondering what you didn't like about the Summits?

Spurhunter

Spurhunter

Supporter
That Lone Wolf does look nice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JeepKuntry

JeepKuntry

pastorbmp":15a3mshr said:
JeepKuntry":15a3mshr said:

Just curious...not trying to start a debate, I was just wondering what you didn't like about the Summits?
The seat was comfortable. But I hated the way it bit the tree. It was a fight up and down to pry it free. And it didn't fit on quite a few trees due to size. Longer hikes it stinks that it doesn't pack flatter. I'm keeping my API for larger diameter trees and using the Lone Wolf for longer hikes.

D

DMD

JeepKuntry":1dykpw9c said:
pastorbmp":1dykpw9c said:
JeepKuntry":1dykpw9c said:

The seat was comfortable. But I hated the way it bit the tree. It was a fight up and down to pry it free. And it didn't fit on quite a few trees due to size. Longer hikes it stinks that it doesn't pack flatter. I'm keeping my API for larger diameter trees and using the Lone Wolf for longer hikes.

I got you. I have heard great things about Lone wolf stands. You might try looking at XOP stands. They are basically the same thing as Lone wolf..only, I think they are less expensive. I don't know anything about them, I've just heard others speak of them. They are supposed to be coming out with a sit and climb stand in 2018. Might be worth looking into.

M

Mike Belt

Could be wrong but I was under the assumption that the Cougar Claw stands were made by someone that broke away from Summit and there was some sort of lawsuit going on between the two.

JeepKuntry

JeepKuntry

Pastor I didn't think anything of your question. I know many on the site love Summit. I should have bought the Hawk climbing stand on cyber Monday when it was $106. If I didn't really like it I could leave it at one of my stand sites.

I will get a Lone Wolf. Always wanted one.

Ladys man

Ladys man

Not to hijack but I plan on going from my summit to x stands next season I like the way they assemble on the tree and the weight but I wnt get rid of my summit

F

fishboy1

What summit do you want to get rid of? I want to get a goliath for the extra room in cold weather. Or a viper.

M

mrw

I have one from the 90's also. Great stand! Very comfortable! I rarely use it anymore, but I keep it just in case.

Os2 Outdoors

Os2 Outdoors

JeepKuntry":3varxjoa said:
Smart guy!! I sit in over a 100 different trees every year, use a climber ever time. I've owned an tried a ton of climbers an always go back to my API

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

M

Mike Belt

I have 1 API stand and love sitting in it. I don't use it anymore specifically because of the chain cable system. I can't keep a shrink wrap cover on it and the chain hangs on every piece of bark on the tree. If they went to a pure cable system they'd be a much better stand.