any storm shelter guys?

biglefty20

Lately been thinking a storm shelter would be a good investment for the house and family... things change in your mind with first newborn... I would def want one that is buried and big enough to fit a few people... anyone do this for living? Know good place to get from? .. I'm in middle tn

RJT

Check out T&H Concrete in Lewisburg. My wife is scared to death of storms , so we looked around and got one. They are rated F5+ and the price includes installation. Has room for 6-8 adults + supplies. Think we spent about $3800.

BlountArrow

I definitely want something similar to this someday soon when we build. Where I'm at now there is simply no where to put something like this. I think it is a very wise investment the way storm and weather patterns seem to be changing.

pressfit

There is a man here in Pulaski that makes them, his are above ground. he might make one that you can bury.. his cell is 478 0677
his company name is DMC inc.. real nice guy

Hunter 257W

I built my own and spent nearly $3,000 in materials. I got a backhoe to come dig a hole. I then welded up rebar panels to brace the walls and ceiling. Got a local concrete truck to come out and pour concrete at something like $85 per cubic yard. The more complicated part was building covered steps down into the shelter. I made that out of concrete blocks with rebar and solid concrete poured into all the holes of the blocks. I made my own steel door and welded up handrails as the steps are pretty steep getting down into the actual shelter. As I said, I spent close to $3,000 in materials and the cost of digging the hole. Some of the ready made shelters are not that much more expensive.

I like buried in the ground for the ultimate survivability but if that means you are going to have to run outside through the storm to get in the shelter, it is going to increase the chance that you won't actually be in it when a tornado hits. That's where one of the bolt down shelters mounted to your garage floor start to look good. My cousin got one near Murfreesboro a year ago at a reasonable price. If they use the right anchors, it would survive a heck of a lot of impacts.

Hunter 257W

ChippewaPartners said:
I went with my bride to a HOME SHOW affair recently and they had one of these on display.......

http://www.groundzeroshelters.com/flattop.html

I guess if you have it put in your garage, its the middle of the night and the storm is coming it might be under your rig in the garage......would you have the time to move the car before the storm hit?

I would want to build the garage about 10 feet deeper than normal so that wouldn't happen. Accesibility at the most inconvenient time is what it's all about. Building the shelter when you are building the house is obviously the best time to make it convenient.

Hunter 257W

Buckykm1 said:
Do you think you would need one if you had a full basement. I have thought about a shelter for some time.

Anytime you are below ground you are better off than the classic "Get in a closet in the center of the house" recommendation. Still some basements are better than others. What is the ceiling of your basement made of? If it's not concrete there's always the chance it could be ripped off.

deerfanatic

http://www.tswstormshelters.com/
This is what I have in my garage. I burrows it 2 ft. from the wall in the garage wall. I have room to get in it without moving my vehicle. I just don't pull up until the front bumper nearly touches the wall. This is a Tennessee company also. Another thing to keep in mind is that insurance companies will discount your rates with a shelter. When you put it in the ground before you pour your concrete around it, fill it with water or it will float on you a little bit. You can sump it out later. This is a good company to deal with.

BamaProud

A basement is safe in most cases, but so is an interior room in a closet most of the time. Nothing is 100% safe. A guy's uncle I worked with in Birmingham was killed in his basement when the house collapsed on him, and I surveyed F-4 damage 2 years ago in north MS where a buried storm shelter was ripped out of the ground killing a woman. There is some question as to how deep that shelter was buried though.

The chance of a shelter actually saving your life is very small, but so is the chance of your house burning to the ground and most of us have smoke alarms.

Personally if budget wasn't an issue, I would have a safe room, but building one in an existing house is pretty impractical.