Any experience with self inflating PFD's????

Jmed

here is my opinion on inflatables; Id rather wear a jack that was floating before it hit the water!

I fish a lot. I won a couple mustangs in a tx a few years ago and I thought man, these are nice especially in hot weather. Well, let me tell you a story. One October day during a tournament, I was trying to hit one last spot when my wife called. Of course I dropped my phone and my initial reaction was to dive for it. As my head hit the water I could see, through my sun glasses, the phone right in front of me spinning like a war eagle spoon headed for davy jones locker. I thought, "oh I got ya". Just as I was making that money swipe that was going to land the phone right in my hand, and explosion went off! Before my damn shoes even hit the water, the jacket inflated like an air bag. The explosion not only prevented me from making the "catch", but it hit so hard my expensive sun glasses shot off my face and followed my phone to the depths of the TN river. lol!!!!

Not long after that I decided I was gonna get one of the nicer newer one's. I went in Cabelas, Bass Pro, and Academy. EVERY SINGLE ONE I looked at was already experied (meter showing red). At that point, I decided I would stick with the ole faithful jackets.

Point of story-check your gauges on your jackets, especially before you buy them. As some one who has been thrown out of a boat, I dont want to have a jacket malfunction.

Latest posts