Antlers

catman529

I love shooting does, and antlers are not the main reason I deer hunt, but I will admit there is something about a big rack that is exciting and will make you go crazy about a buck you want to kill. If I didn't like antlers I wouldn't have them all over my wall... only 3 of the racks on my wall are ones I killed, two are matched sheds, two are skulls of monster bucks I just found in the woods, and I have a whole shelf piled with sheds. Something in the human brain loves big antlers and horns for sure.

Here's a hypothetical question...sometimes I wonder how one would think of killing a monster buck if NOBODY else in the world cared about antlers. Say you killed a 190" buck with a bow and nobody cares about the rack so you don't have anything to brag about more than you would killing a doe. Would the antlers still mean the same to you? I can't answer the question myself because I really don't know... I definitely do love the big non typical racks whether or not I killed em, that's why I have two giants I did not kill on my wall, not to show off and brag about, but because I love looking at em.

BSK

catman529,

I don't kill bucks to show them off. I kill them for myself. So yes, I would still be fascinated with antlers even if I had no one to show them to.

Winchester

Agreed, its not what anyone else thinks about the rack, its me who loves the big racks and yes I would hunt them just like I do now even if I was never allowed to show them to anyone. Now take the rack away, and I would still deer hunt, but with about as much enthusiasm as I do when rabbit hunting!

kknights27

Yea. Dont hunt for what everybody else will be impressed with, hunt for yourself, and what you want, long as its legal. I havent killed many deer. I get shaky seeing a deer of any sex or size, while hunting. Antlers do get the blood moving a bit more though.

BSK

kknights27 said:
I havent killed many deer. I get shaky seeing a deer of any sex or size, while hunting. Antlers do get the blood moving a bit more though.

Don't worry kknights27, the above situation never changes, no matter how many deer you've killed. I've killed a couple of truckloads--literally--and my heart still jumps when I see a doe! Antlers just make it worse!

DaveB

I started deer hunting in 1967. First time I saw a deer was in 1970. I don't feel any different when I see one today. My Heartbeats pick up, BP goes up a tick or two, and I get ready to make a killing shot. Doe buck no difference.

Mike Belt

With a bow in my hands a doe will give me the shakes. With a gun in my hands I'm pretty steady until I see big antlers. Then I'm trembling inside but steady on the outside. After the shot I'm shaking all over.

BHC

I cannot deny I still get the shakes when I'm in close quarters with a doe.. Especially if I'm thinking of shooting her.. For me the antlers provide a lot of excitement in anticipation of what could be or will the buck on trail cam come through? And from where?.. Catman to answer your question no ppl would care less it may still be neat to them but it would be less cool/important. But as it's stands it's what makes them unique and what most ppl care about.. Even "meat" hunters will shoot the biggest buck over a young do even tho the meat is better. And that is because it's a unique opportunity to take a large racked buck...

KPH

I could care less about antlers and except for tool making I bet our ancestors didn't either, they hunted to stay alive. Hunting was work for them.

BSK

KPH said:
I could care less about antlers and except for tool making I bet our ancestors didn't either, they hunted to stay alive. Hunting was work for them.

Actually, archeological evidence strongly suggest Native Americans greatly prized large antlers, for whatever reason. Huge caches of antlers have been found buried underground (I'm taking hundreds and even over a thousand sets), and ALL are large. The did not keep/cache the smaller antlers.

Boone 58

I will never totally understand it, but I think it is because they are a wonderfully designed awesome created thing of God's creation. I have always been taken by them!!

benellivol

BSK said:
kknights27 said:
I havent killed many deer. I get shaky seeing a deer of any sex or size, while hunting. Antlers do get the blood moving a bit more though.

Don't worry kknights27, the above situation never changes, no matter how many deer you've killed. I've killed a couple of truckloads--literally--and my heart still jumps when I see a doe! Antlers just make it worse!

I don't get shaky until I've shot. After I release the arrow or squeeze the trigger, I come apart. I have to sit down or else I may fall out of the tree.

BSK

benellivol said:
BSK said:
kknights27 said:

I don't get shaky until I've shot. After I release the arrow or squeeze the trigger, I come apart. I have to sit down or else I may fall out of the tree.

I'm that way with a firearm. But back when I hunted with a bow, I would get so shook up before the shot that I couldn't pull the bow back!

Latest posts