Antelope in Wyoming

4onaside

Some on here have made some L..O..N..G shots, beyond what I am capable of making, so I use basically use what I would use for whitetails in Tennessee, .270 3 x 9 scope(usually on 6x) and 130 gr bullets, and try to shoot at 250 yards or less. However, any reasonably flat shooting combo will do from .243 up. I plan to take a 7mmremmag with 154 gr. handloads this year, just for variety. Where are you going in Wyoming? I have never hunted there but am trying to extend my usual Colorado hunt into Wyoming this year, and have been pouring over all of the regs, stats, and maps trying to find a workable place.

Southpaw

I'm doing the same thing now. My advantage is I have a buddy that lives just outside of Cody. Soon as I get more info from him I will pass it on to you. :)

4onaside

Fine business, I'm interested in your deal for your sake and because I'm a western hunter, but I don't plan to go anywhere near that "deep" into Wyoming, closer to the Southeast for me, because its closer to my already booked Colorado destination.

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
I hunted Wyoming 10 years ago. I shot an antelope with a 270 using 130 grain bullets. I had a 3 x 9 scope on the rifle. One thing that really helped me was a bipod on my rifle. I shot my antelope at 250 yards in a howling wind. The bipod really helped me steady the rifle.

4onaside

Well I mailed my application this morning! I applied for a unit that was only 37% odds last year, so assuming similar numbers this year, my odds are only a little better than one in three. However, while my 2nd choice is only slightly better odds, my 3rd was 100% last year. If you don't get drawn, you always have a shot at a leftover tag this summer. Plus, for many units, you can get a doe tag over the counter. And, I already have my Colorado tag guaranted(if I don't get drawn, then a landowner tag). Que Sera! lol

4onaside

baldntatted said:
i got my application in waiting on the draw date. of course my area 47 is only 4% change to get drawn.
That's one of the first areas that I studied(in the Shirley basin)and is a great area. However, everybody knows that, and I felt like I had little chance of being drawn without a preference point or spending $526 for a "special" license, which I will not do.

4onaside

baldntatted said:
i got my application in waiting on the draw date. of course my area 47 is only 4% change to get drawn.
That's one of the first areas that I studied(in the Shirley basin)and is a great area. However, everybody knows that, and I felt like I had little chance of being drawn without a preference point or spending $526 for a "special" license, which I will not do.

4onaside

I said that I "would not" opt for a special license. If you do, getting drawn wherever you choose is basically a slam dunk. And I might do it, if I were only hunting in Wyoming. But I already have a bunch of coin invested in the Colorado deal, and Wyoming is more or less an add on. So I have to take what I can get. If that is not getting drawn, so be it. I'll just be $272 richer come July, to do something fun with......like pay bills. lol

baldntatted

it's a Christmas present from my father in law they live in chaynee and his friend is a guide there he got me and my bro law trips which he is paying for hotel tags and food for the week all we got to do is get there. i don't care if i get drawn for a doe/fawn tag i hope we get drawn but the odds are against us lol

4onaside

baldntatted said:
it's a Christmas present from my father in law they live in chaynee and his friend is a guide there he got me and my bro law trips which he is paying for hotel tags and food for the week all we got to do is get there. i don't care if i get drawn for a doe/fawn tag i hope we get drawn but the odds are against us lol
Even the doe/fawn tags were hard to come by in 2007 in unit 47, the draw odds for type 6(Sept 25/Oct 31) being 51.55%, I think the toughest odds for does in any Wyoming unit. However, a type 7 tag(Oct5/Oct31) was easy enough, being 100% odds. Most of the units have 100% odds for a doe/fawn tag.

Tree Man

Southpaw said:
May get the chance to hunt there this year. What would be your weapon of choice and minimum optics?
Most rifles and optics you hunt here in TN will do the job on speed goats.
The last three years I have used a 7mm08. I have been sucessful 2 out of three years, with my longest shot being 260 yards.
A little bit of advice: The more presure the area you hunt has expect longer shots. Antelope get pretty smart one the shootin' begins.

Latest posts