Another situation concerning a wounded deer

woodyard

woodyard

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2005
Messages
2,719
Location
Dresden,TN
The other thread made me think about another situation or two.
Suppose you are hunting and come upon a buck that obviously has been wounded by a hunter, both shoulders broken by a shot or shots. The deer is scooting along on it chest and is in obvious pain. Maybe even another shot through upper back, old wound s that looked bad and meat probably wouldn't want to eat, etc. Do you shoot it and put it out of its pain? Then do you punch one of your buck tags? Technically you shot a buck.

Or do you decide to call TWRA and warden can't get there for hours, and you can't wait for them, you have to be out of the woods. Do you let the animal suffer more?

Or suppose you are diving down a road and see a deer get hit and flopping around. Hysterical woman that owns house with yard that said deer is flopping and bawling around in stops you and wants you to do something about it. What do you do? Ask if she has a gun ? Shoot the deer with your gun that you had on you or in vehicle? Tell her to call TWRA or sheriff.

Some things to think abou, they do happen.
 
rem270

rem270

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Nov 15, 2002
Messages
34,431
Location
NW TN
Have been in both situations. Last year I was tagged out on bucks in KY. Was hunting the late mz to kill some does. That morning seen a good 3.5 8 pt that I was hoping to see make it another year. Noticed he was hurt really bad. He was 75 yards in front of me but in thick stuff. He was shot through both front legs and literally have to lean back on his back legs for support . Text my dad and said he had bedded down and he might could sneak over and get a shot (he still had a buck tag). It didn't work out and the deer spooked. I felt terrible and hated knowing he was out there like that. The next evening he come in behind me and I put him out of his misery. Legal or not I don't care I couldn't stand seeing him like that. Come to find out a neighbor had some guys in from Florida and they had shot him the weekend after Thanksgiving. So he made it about 3 weeks scooting by on his back legs.


3 or 4 years ago I put down a doe on the side of the road that had been hit and broke her back. She was sitting there calm as can be but couldn't go anywhere. Felt terrible to put a bullet through her head as she was staring at me but I knew what I had to do.
 

Attachments

  • 20161215_155825_resized.jpg
    20161215_155825_resized.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,121
woodyard

woodyard

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2005
Messages
2,719
Location
Dresden,TN
Yes, you have to do the ethical thing as opposed to the technical legal thing sometimes. I have been in both situations also. The one with the deer flopping in the yard , I didn't have a gun nor would I have shot it with the ladies. I was on my mail route and could not be seen with a gun , even if it was hers, and doing it for the sake of the deer. I had to tell her I couldn't help her and to call the sheriff. Sometimes those things suck.
I would have risked being fired for it with our politically correct postal service.
 
rem270

rem270

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Nov 15, 2002
Messages
34,431
Location
NW TN
woodyard":3d05gznx said:
Yes, you have to do the ethical thing as opposed to the technical legal thing sometimes. I have been in both situations also. The one with the deer flopping in the yard , I didn't have a gun nor would I have shot it with the ladies. I was on my mail route and could not be seen with a gun , even if it was hers, and doing it for the sake of the deer. I had to tell her I couldn't help her and to call the sheriff. Sometimes those things suck.
I would have risked being fired for it with our politically correct postal service.

Year before last we had a button buck get hit and was dragging his back legs on the road. Being that is a more traffic area and I was at work I called the sheriff's office and got permission to put it down. Then my boss wouldn't let me for liability reasons which did make sense after that. So called the sheriff's office back and a deputy came out and killed it.
 
PickettSFHunter

PickettSFHunter

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Jan 11, 2004
Messages
20,850
Location
Jamestown, TN
You should do what’s ethical even if it’s not legal.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
1 good shot

1 good shot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2009
Messages
4,645
Location
memphis
I had a similar situation with one hung up in barbed wire I called the TWRA and they told me to go ahead and put it down it was really obvious what had happened
 
huntinkev

huntinkev

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2006
Messages
6,398
Location
Humphreys
I seen a wounded deer on side of road, about 30 yards off a few years ago out of season. His back was obviously broken, but baby a car I assume, and he wasn't going anywhere. I called twra and told them I had a pistol with me and wanted to put it down. He said no problem just asked if I wanted to keep the deer so they could note it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 
M

Mike Belt

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 26, 1999
Messages
27,375
Location
Lakeland, Tn.
A little spin on this posting...

If the deer in question... one that you came upon while stalking through the woods was wounded and couldn't move and you decided to end his misery... had a big set of antlers; let's say 150". Would it make any difference on how you handled the situation and would it make any difference on whether you were already tagged out or not?
 
Spurhunter

Spurhunter

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Jun 9, 2008
Messages
9,719
Location
Munford, TN
I'm not going to let the animal suffer in either situation. I'll deal with the what ifs later. The buck tag question is an interesting topic. Technically I killed a buck. But it wasn't by choice. It was by necessity. Should I have to burn a buck tag because some googan made a bad shot? I'm sure the legal answer is yes. But I'm not sure I agree.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
Spurhunter

Spurhunter

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Jun 9, 2008
Messages
9,719
Location
Munford, TN
rem270":1bl5zexz said:
Have been in both situations. Last year I was tagged out on bucks in KY. Was hunting the late mz to kill some does. That morning seen a good 3.5 8 pt that I was hoping to see make it another year. Noticed he was hurt really bad. He was 75 yards in front of me but in thick stuff. He was shot through both front legs and literally have to lean back on his back legs for support . Text my dad and said he had bedded down and he might could sneak over and get a shot (he still had a buck tag). It didn't work out and the deer spooked. I felt terrible and hated knowing he was out there like that. The next evening he come in behind me and I put him out of his misery. Legal or not I don't care I couldn't stand seeing him like that. Come to find out a neighbor had some guys in from Florida and they had shot him the weekend after Thanksgiving. So he made it about 3 weeks scooting by on his back legs.


3 or 4 years ago I put down a doe on the side of the road that had been hit and broke her back. She was sitting there calm as can be but couldn't go anywhere. Felt terrible to put a bullet through her head as she was staring at me but I knew what I had to do.
Much respect.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
FTG-05

FTG-05

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2013
Messages
2,653
Location
TN
Given the scenarios posted here: Can you do anything with the meat or horns?
 
S

scn

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Feb 5, 2003
Messages
18,197
Location
Brentwood, TN US
FTG-05":1qvdoved said:
Given the scenarios posted here: Can you do anything with the meat or horns?

If is isn't a legal deer, then the answer would be no.

It is always a great idea to have the phone number of your local officer already in your phone. A quick call ahead of taking action could derail a lot of questions/issues after the fact.
 
FTG-05

FTG-05

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2013
Messages
2,653
Location
TN
scn":4cuqlnhp said:
FTG-05":4cuqlnhp said:
Given the scenarios posted here: Can you do anything with the meat or horns?

If is isn't a legal deer, then the answer would be no.

It is always a great idea to have the phone number of your local officer already in your phone. A quick call ahead of taking action could derail a lot of questions/issues after the fact.

So Friday would have been legal (last day of season) but today would not be. Ok, pretty clear. Thanks,
 
Snake

Snake

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 3, 2009
Messages
38,852
Location
McMinn Co.Tennessee U.S.
Never been presented with either situation but I tend to putting the animal down no point in it suffering and just face what I have to face .
 
Spurhunter

Spurhunter

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Jun 9, 2008
Messages
9,719
Location
Munford, TN
FTG-05":x97n4f7r said:
Given the scenarios posted here: Can you do anything with the meat or horns?
Just curious, what difference would this make?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
FTG-05

FTG-05

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2013
Messages
2,653
Location
TN
Difference should have been obvious: I would want to know what's legal and what's not as far as the end use of the deer, if any. Now it's clear.
 
Gravey

Gravey

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
31,471
Location
Christiana (Rutherford County)
Probably 15 years ago was helping a buddy move when we came upon a small buck in the middle of the road that had been hit and couldn’t move. It was a little 2 lane so we stopped and pulled him out of the road and I shot him with my pistol. At the time I wasn’t thinking about laws but wasn’t gonna leave it there to suffer. Had another time when I came home and saw a doe behind my neighbors fence about 50 yards from my driveway and at first thought it was dead until I walked over and she raise her head. Not sure what happened to her but think she was hit by a car and made it a couple hundred yards before being able to go any further. I ran back to my truck and got my pistol and ended her suffering too. I’m not gonna leave one to suffer when that’s not necessary. My moral and ethical meter won’t let me.
 
H

huntintn

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
5,293
Location
Adamsville ,Tn
Had a 3 point stagger out in front of me thanksgiving day. He had be shot through the back hips, I used my first tag on him. Ended up having to pass a large 8 later this year because I was out of tags. Wouldn't change my choice.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk
 

Similar threads

B
Replies
9
Views
535
BucksNBass
B
Pic IN the Casa
2
Replies
33
Views
1K
K-dub
K
BamaProud
Replies
35
Views
3K
recurve60#
R
duckriver
Replies
9
Views
775
Inkstainz
I

Latest posts

Top