Another fall turkey question..

Tenntrapper

With season fast approaching, Ive got another question.
During the fall, is an ambush tactic the best approach? I see these 6 toms nearly every day, and can just about tell you where they will be at any given time. I assume calling doesn't work in the fall.

Also, if given the choice, would you take out the larger, more dominant bird, or one of the smaller ones?

Thanks for any help

Madbowh

You never know few years ago I seen a Tom strutting in Nov. Doing circles around a hen, typical female she wasn't having any part in it. I've just sat and let them do what there doing and hope for shot.

Boll Weevil

Traditional fall tactics are quite different than spring. With brood flocks of hens and their adolescent young of the year, scattering them and calling them back is time-tested and proven. It's also extremely easy to kill these birds...like...really easy. These birds want nothing more than to regroup as their safety is in numbers and with the brood hen.

Gobbler flocks on the other hand can sometimes be scattered and called back but it's nothing like young birds or hens. They're far more wary and frankly don't "need" to be together like younger more vulnerable birds. Most important (in my opinion) is woodsmanship, reading sign, and patience. Fall birds have to found and unlike spring birds, they don't always tell you where they are by gobbling every other breath.

woodsman04

I'm a traditionalist, ambushing ain't my thing in fall or spring.
The most fun and challenging is to scatter them and try to call them back up. Younger 1-1/2 year olds will sometimes work back up quicker than older longbeards.

I get in woods well before daylight and try to locate them in trees listening for yelps and clucks. Flush them out of the trees, making sure they all go in different directions. Then set up just as I would in spring, and wait half hour or more and do some soft gobbler yelps and clucks. Not much, it don't take a lot.

If you can find them roosted they evening before and scatter them right at dark, calling them back up after flydown seems to be easier.

But as with turkeys, you just never know what will happen.

Latest posts