Another Death via Falling Out of the Boat . . . . . .

MickThompson

You are probably correct regarding this child, this incident, but not necessarily.
I've seen boats turn quickly, and/or hit something submerged, throwing out occupants regardless their seating position. In such cases, the boat driver (holding the steer wheel) may be the least likely one to be thrown out, negating the value of his kill switch.

Also, the dangers of outboard props are not limited to just those who accidently fall out. These dangers extend to anyone in the water. Very easy to be sucked into the prop.

Again, mainly just trying to raise awareness @ prop dangers.
But seeing how common household fans are enclosed in a "cage",
wondering to what extent might some type "cage" be practical for an outboard.
That cage would also be something for a stick to get pinned against, bending a prop shaft or worse

Biggun4214

Sometimes life jackets still matters in cases of prop cuts.
I worked an accident several years ago where a teenage girl fell out of the boat and was hit by the prop. She had several bad cuts and the prop cut the front panels out of the jacket. Material from her jacket actually stalled the engine. The life jacket had enough flotation to keep her afloat and her brother was able to get her back it the boat. The life jacket did its job.

Snake

Supporter
Why not have kill switch lanyards attached to all in the boat ? I know people could unhook them but there are certain times it's dangerous certain times it's not and I mean dangerous by saying conditions . I just can't fathom falling out of a boat myself. Just what were they doing ?

FLTENNHUNTER1

Why not have kill switch lanyards attached to all in the boat ? I know people could unhook them but there are certain times it's dangerous certain times it's not and I mean dangerous by saying conditions . I just can't fathom falling out of a boat myself. Just what were they doing ?
If that kill switch stops the motor at 60+ MPH it would toss everyone in the water.

**** happens. You can’t engineer a solution for unsafe actions.

7mm08

Supporter
Why not have a parent act like a parent….
I’m sure they took photos of their son before the accident to post on Facebook & Instagram!

Why not have license to operate a boat the same as with a car?

There are kill switches that work off of Bluetooth. One monitor attaches to the switch, the other button you wear or put in your pocket. Fall overboard and the engine dies. Works same principle as a switch attached to a chord

What a shame and totally avoidable

Kimber45

A family local to us lost a son/grandson several yrs ago. Fell off the back of the pontoon - prop got him. He’d been warned countless times not to lean on the back rail. Tragic accident .. and I agree, we can’t out engineer mistakes that we can/will make in life unfortunately

TheLBLman

Accidents are going to happen.
What can we do that is "reasonable" to decrease their frequency & severity?

I remember my dad buying a new car back in 1964 when the idea of seat belts was being pondered. He decided to install seat belts in the back seat for us kids, at at time when they did not come on new cars. It seemed "reasonable".

ImThere

Why don’t boats have seatbelts? Cannot fall out of seatbelted in?
I mean at some point we had to put a tag on a hair dryer to tell people not to use in the shower.

RobbyW

One of my best friends was running a tiller handle motor coming out of a duck hole and hit a submerged log. It flipped the motor up and landed in his lap. He lost half is arm and almost bled out from his leg. Props are dangerous and freak accidents happen. At some point you assume some level of risk

Headhunter

I see this on Priest all summer long. Usually mexican, laotian or asians. I believe the people in this boat were mexican. this pic was taken at 30 mph. I stopped them and explained about the law and how dangerous that was. They said ok and took off with the girl still on the front.

Attachments

• boat idiot.jpg
    boat idiot.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts