Another Chickamauga Monster Bass

rsimms

Attachments

• big_bass1.jpg
    big_bass1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 2,143

SilverFox

To mount or to replica... that would be a tough question for me as well I guess. I'd imagine as much as I hate replica mounts I would still choose to have one done. I don't know that I could kill one like that on purpose. After you have pics and a certified weight it is kinda hard to justify killing it.

TheLBLman

SilverFox":307pr5d9 said:
After you have pics and a certified weight it is kinda hard to justify killing it.
Although I tend to generally agree, considering the totality of this one,
I likely would have kept this one myself.

2nd largest bass ever documented in TN?

What's the chance this fish would have survived being released?

How long might it have lived if released?

SilverFox

This time of year I'd say it had a good chance of surviving as long as it wasn't hooked deep and wasn't handled too roughly.

I'm good with it either way. I bass fish but I also eat fish when I want them. He paid his license fee just like me... and like I said it would be a tough decision. I absolutely hate replica mounts.

TheLBLman

SilverFox":323cud63 said:
This time of year I'd say it had a good chance of surviving as long as it wasn't hooked deep and wasn't handled too roughly.
I agree.
Just thinking that a much older fish such as this, especially considering all the time they spent getting his weight certified, would be less likely to survive, and then might not have naturally had much survival time left even if they hadn't caught him.

I believe if this fish had been an 11-lb bass, the guy would have immediately released it.
This was just a very different circumstance ---- possible state record fish when they were wondering what it weighed.

nitro_z17

wobblegobble":1vnj8x3s said:
I would skin mount it and never think twice about it.
Why?

*Unlike skin mounts, a fiberglass mount won't deteriorate over time.
*By creating a mount fishmount you promote Catch-and-release fishing.
*A mounted fish reproduction can be beautiful as ahome or office decor for a collector or the angling enthusiast.
*A fiberglass reproduction will last a lifetime.
*No ugly shrinkage that can be associated with some poorly done skin mounts.
*No grease bleed associated with some poorly done skin mounts, all Salmonid and all salt water species are notorious for "grease bleed ", their heads and bodies are packed with natural oils that are all but impossible to remove completely, If undertaken at all, skin mounts of these species in particular should ideally be built with artificial heads and adipose fins.
*No moulds, insect infestations or other deterioration that can be associated with traditional fish taxidermy mounts.

SilverFox

My main reasoning behind doing a skin mount would be replica mounts look like crap. Like I said, I'm good with either. The only thing that bothers me one bit is no one will be able to catch this fish again... but who knows, it may have died anyways or never been caught again had he turned her loose. It's like letting a 3 1/2 yr old 130 inch 8 walk when your neighbor wouldn't. You may see it again but you may not.

nitro_z17

Crappieaddict":38fza68r said:
You can expect lots of company on an already crowded Chick!
im telling ya. i wont go on weekends. dayton braggin about the $14 mil fishing has brought in, they need to pony up and build a couple modern day marinas

mike243

Great fish,either skin mount it or take a picture,the fake mount means nothing to me,the picture is the real deal,the skin mount is every thing a mount should be if done properly ,1 fish out of millions and somebody thinks its a crime to mount 1 :roll:

Winchester

I wouldnt even consider killing a fish to mount anymore, the replicas look better and last forever. This fish if released, especially this time of year would very likely be the state record next yr if caught again. At the very least it would be a lifetime experience for yet another fisherman and maybe even a kid if lucky!

jard

I caught an 8lb 3 oz bass out of percy priest this year in April during the flood. My biggest ever. CAught many 6lbers but never over 8. Lake was 8 ft over pool and I put the boat in the parking lot at the ramp cause water was so high. I promised my wife the first bass over 8lbs I would mount. I felt bad at the moment, but I took that puppy home and took it to the taxidermist. Ive since researched on how to take the proper pics and measurements for a replica and next time, it will be live released. Just didnt have the knowledge then but I'm good with my decision.

Latest posts