Another bad day at work

BSK

So am I blessed or cursed? While mapping a skidder road in the bottom of a valley that had just been timbered, I was sitting on my ATV, idling but in gear, looking down at my GPS, when I hear a loud CRACK! Glancing around I see a couple of trees uphill from me seemingly moving. Looking straight up I realize a whole series of trees are falling right on top of me. I gunned the ATV to try and get out from under the trunks, and then bailed off the ATV and starting running. Immediately I feel branches slapping me in the back of the head. I thought I was dead. Luckily, I had just cleared the major branches. But talk about heart pounding and adrenaline shakes! Took about 10 minutes to soak all that in. What are the odds those trees fall just as I drive under them? Looked like a couple of trees had fallen during logging and had gotten wedged against a forked Beech tree. As I was sitting there the left fork of the Beech gave way and all three trees came down right on top of me.

Attachments

• WorkFun2.jpg
    WorkFun2.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 280

huntinkev

I notice a common denominator....the atv.

Man, that could have been bad if you didn't get out of the way.

Blackbullet

So am I blessed or cursed? While mapping a skidder road in the bottom of a valley that had just been timbered, I was sitting on my ATV, idling but in gear, looking down at my GPS, when I hear a loud CRACK! Glancing around I see a couple of trees uphill from me seemingly moving. Looking straight up I realize a whole series of trees are falling right on top of me. I gunned the ATV to try and get out from under the trunks, and then bailed off the ATV and starting running. Immediately I feel branches slapping me in the back of the head. I thought I was dead. Luckily, I had just cleared the major branches. But talk about heart pounding and adrenaline shakes! Took about 10 minutes to soak all that in. What are the odds those trees fall just as I drive under them? Looked like a couple of trees had fallen during logging and had gotten wedged against a forked Beech tree. As I was sitting there the left fork of the Beech gave way and all three trees came down right on top of me.

Glad you made it out ok. I would say you are blessed. Thank The Lord Jesus Your are still on the same side of the dirt as the rest of us and you are still vertical. He kept you around for a reason.

jaybird62

There are a lot of aspects surrounding timber felling that I used to take for granted. These days I get pretty anal about safety procedures in the woods, and that's still no guarantee. Glad you are ok, Brian.

Specializedjon

Hard hat, Bubble wrap & arm floaties....that would be my suggestion before you go out again. You might be getting chased by a Sasquatch or something 🤣 this stuff doesn't happen in a lifetime. To you it's called a "Tuesday". Hate to say it...but I'm kinda looking forward to next weeks adventures.

Holy smokes. Glad you're ok brother.

BSK

There are a lot of aspects surrounding timber felling that I used to take for granted. These days I get pretty anal about safety procedures in the woods, and that's still no guarantee. Glad you are ok, Brian.
Now I know why loggers call trees cut but hung up in other trees, "widow makers." Almost did yesterday.