Anniversary Dinner

TAFKAP

Mrs. TAFKAP and I celebrated 7 years of wedded bliss tonight. Due to budgetary concerns, we decided to eat in tonight, rather than blow it out at some restaurant. So I present you NY Strip, roasted okra, and steamed cabbage. Fresh Market had their "grassfed" beef at the same price as their standard Hereford fare, so I got it instead since it looked much better. I patted the meat dry, then salted & seasoned it for an hour before I lit the coals. Split the okra down the middle, tossed in a little olive oil and seasoned it, and roasted in a 400 oven for a while.

Good stuff. And the wine was a gift from a work buddy....excellent all the way around. Probably could've stood another minute on the steak, but no complaints otherwise. This was rare, as opposed to the medium rare we prefer.

389185_570716013935_411643041_n.jpg

TAFKAP

Oh, and I HATE chick beer....but this Sam Adams stuff is incredible. It's not sweet....

599025_569983521855_1851795015_n.jpg

TAFKAP

Poser said:
I'd put a hurting' on that steak!

Oh, I did.....it was just a little purple for my typical taste. It was slightly chewy rare....it needed about another 30 seconds a side to go from pretty dammn good to perfect. Just long enough to soften the center up a little more.

TAFKAP

I don't know much of anything about wines. My buddy picked this out. He was in town for business, but we just put him up at our house and cooked out a lot . This was a "Thank You" gift....we just went through the wine store while he grabbed stuff . "OOh, this one's good. My buddy imports this stuff. I haven't seen this in YEARS!"

But he told us to save this one for a special occasion. It's a cool bottle if nothing else.

acba176c.jpg

TennesseeRains

:D

I don't either which is why I asked! Now it's a Kermit Lynch...my sister-in-law drinks wine each evening per her doctor and I went to get her some for her birthday or something. Not knowing anything but to get 'RED'...I saw some Kermit with a Thomas Jefferson quote on it - so, well I bought it! :grin:

She said it was good too - what a bonus.

In looking up just why the quote was on the bottle, here is what I found:

In the late 1980s and early 1990s, Lynch took objection to a regulation of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms that required wine bottles to be labeled with the Surgeon General's warning against alcohol consumption but prohibited any countering sentiment about the benefits of moderate wine drinking to be on the label.

On numerous occasions, Lynch petitioned the BATF to allow him to add a statement about the benefit of wine to go with the Surgeon General's warning such as quotes by Louis Pasteur on the hygienic properties of wine, the Bible on wine's healing properties, and Thomas Jefferson on the pleasures that drinking wine can bring. After many trials, Lynch finally had his request approved

TAFKAP

I like Kermit Lynch :)

My dad's in Paris this week, and I've asked him to keep an eye out for it. I believe "Chateauneuf du Pape" is the type of wine, and Telegramme is the label. It was quite good.

What's interesting to me is the crown & crossed key emblem that's embossed on the bottle. You see that symbol in relation to the Papacy, and with a name like "du Pape", I wonder what the affiliation is.

Latest posts