• Help Support TNDeer:

Ammo sales, moral delima?

RUGER

Supporter
I thought this might make for interesting conversation.
I know there was a thread similar to this one but I can't find it.

Say you have a death in the family and there will be quite a bit of ammunition as well as guns to be sold.
Various brands and calibers.
99% sure there will be zero AR style rifles or 5.56 or .223 ammo involved.
Keeping any of the guns or ammo is not an option.
The person selling will receive exactly $0 from the sale. Just doing it as a favor.

Say for example, a box of 9mm ammo.
We will say hardball, not "carry" ammo.
For me a normal price for a box of 50 SHOULD be about $10 max.
However, in today's market going by hours of research of looking at prices online the "normal AVERAGE" price will be closer to $50.

The way I see it you can handle it one of three ways. Box of 9mm again just for example.

1) Sell for absolute maximum possible profit and price everything on the high end of the current market value. ie: $50
2) Sell for less than absolute maximum but still make good money off the sale. ie: $30
3) Sell for near "normal" prices but still make a little money. ie: $15

Since you are not selling medicine or food nobody HAS to buy anything you have.
You are not pressuring anyone to buy or even TRYING to sell anything to them.
Is there any "moral" issues?
Just plain supply and demand?

What say ye?

woodyard

Do it like yall want to do it. People will buy it either way and complainers will complain either way.
Supply and demand.

Works same way with land and houses. Supply available on market and demand determines prices. Is an acre of land today worth $10,000 today as opposed to $1000 years ago. Same land.

Last edited:

Laserman1

Sell it for the going rate. If there is more than one person involved in the estate, you may want to see it at 2004 cost but others who will benefit from the sale want the most money for their cut of the inheritance.

Crappie Luck

Staff member
Market value is just that. It's the value of the product. It's not the fault of the seller. If any blame is to be cast (and there shoudl be none), it's more the fault of the buyer. He needs the ammo and he needs it NOW.

Sell the ammo at the current market value or to the highest bidder. The bidder is setting the price, not the buyer and that relieves the buyer of any moral dilemmas.

It might seem wrong that prices are higher than usual. But that is not the sellers fault. There is no "price gouging". The ammo is worth what people are wiling to pay - period.

FLTENNHUNTER1

Supply and demand built America. I would ask maximum market price and offer discounts only for bulk purchases. The more you buy the bigger the discount.

Deer Assassin

Market value is just that. It's the value of the product. It's not the fault of the seller. If any blame is to be cast (and there shoudl be none), it's more the fault of the buyer. He needs the ammo and he needs it NOW.

Sell the ammo at the current market value or to the highest bidder. The bidder is setting the price, not the buyer and that relieves the buyer of any moral dilemmas.

It might seem wrong that prices are higher than usual. But that is not the sellers fault. There is no "price gouging". The ammo is worth what people are wiling to pay - period.
ditto

Cull Buck Hunter

I would honor the persons values and set a fair price. My prices vary depending on the end user, if you are planning on flipping the stuff I sell to you, it will cost you dearly. If i charge $50 for a box of 9mm then I should not complain about $15 for a gallon of milk. I still believe in a code of ethics among fellow hunters and shooters and I personally feel that it's wrong to take advantage of the current situation, just my opinion. If it is a resale person-top dollar, individuals and friends that need ammo- fair prices. No right or wrong answer, just opinions and viewpoints and nobody is calling names or trying to get people cancelled for having an opinion that is different, thats why i like this site.

Last edited:

huntinkev

The first problem I see is the statement that keeping any is not an option. ;)

I would sell them at the going rate. If you wanted them to move fast rather than maximizing profit then you could cut them back just below the market rate and move them quickly.

I don't see a moral dilemma, you have a product and the market price for that product is thru the roof at the moment, it's a sellers market.

Now if you were sitting at the store first thing in the morning and cleaning off the shelves and reselling in the parking lot, I might have a different take on it.

backyardtndeer

Depends on how quickly the estate needs the proceeds. If there is time and losing a little cut is ok, then let an auction company handle it. If they are in a hurry, set a fair price and entertain fair offers.

Rakkin6

Me personally I would go for between $15-20 a box. I just sold 2 boxes of .270 ammo for $60.00 to a member on here. It was just the Remington Core Lokt ammo. So I might have made $5.00 a box. But I have more than enough and just me personally it is hard to jack the price up. Now don't get me wrong I am a capitalist and believe in supply and demand so nothing wrong with getting what you can either.

Snowwolfe

You dont owe any stranglers a "good deal". If you sell low I bet some of the buyers will flip them for a profit.
There isn't a person alive on this forum who would sell there house or car way below market value to a stranger because "its the right thing to do".

I don't know what it is about ammo and components that bring out the hidden democrat inside people. No one is entitled to buy what they want, when they want, at a price they want to pay.

Close friends and family you like - thats a different matter

Last edited:

waynesworld

I would say it depends on the family I would hope if it was me going in the ground they would go below the sky high rates to give fellow hunters and shooters a win win deal. The other thing I may do if the family was like mine is fist find some young hunters that need it for practice

Latest posts