Ammo and Component Shortages--Recovery in 2022?

BetterDaniel

I remember a .22 shortage a few years back and I knew someone who worked in sporting goods at Walmart during the Christmas season. He told me; at that time, like clockwork, the same dozen people were there first thing in the morning on freight days buying up everything they had for .22's. Every week. What they did with all of that.... I have no clue.

BetterDaniel

And even when they come available, it's doubtful they'll be priced to allow cost savings over buying ready-loaded ammo.
I dont know, I saw some 9mm available for 0.80$ a shot. At that rate you'll be able to turn your own brass and still go cheaper 😂 I don't know who on this earth is buying that high.

Wiley

I'm already seeing this trend. new comers to reloading are disappointed to find that reloading components are in the same shortage as ammunition right now.
I've been loading for several years and just realized the other day that I could use some Speer 2034 165gr bullets and there are none to be found. I have some but could always use a few more.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I dont know, I saw some 9mm available for 0.80$ a shot. At that rate you'll be able to turn your own brass and still go cheaper 😂 I don't know who on this earth is buying that high.
Yeah, you're right, especially about centerfire hot buy "tactical" marketed chamberings (though who knows if primer prices are done rising). I was thinking about shotgun shells when I commented.

BetterDaniel

I've been loading for several years and just realized the other day that I could use some Speer 2034 165gr bullets and there are none to be found. I have some but could always use a few more.
Same, 308 has been my go-to for deer but I was considering getting a 6.5 creedmoor, turns out you can't find bullets for 6.5 hardly. Probably not a good time to invest in one if you can't load for it right now.

backyardtndeer

Consumers are going to have to relax and quit the hoarding if we want to see ammo on the shelves in the near term. See link below.

What's Behind the Ammunition Shortage? (petersenshunting.com)
Read that article the other day. Just not so sure I believe that manufacturers are putting out more ammo than ever before as a whole. Some may have increased production, but overall I believe there is a shortage.

I have not been able to find a definitive answer, but from all I could find, I don't think Remington is currently producing any ammo or components.

Then look at the shutdown for covid, non essential businesses were shutdown, how long was ammo not produced while people were still buying.

Overall, I bet total production from all manufacturers combined was probably down from prior years.

BetterDaniel

Yeah, you're right, especially about centerfire hot buy "tactical" marketed chamberings (though who knows if primer prices are done rising). I was thinking about shotgun shells when I commented.
Yeah, for shotgun shells its probably catching up in price quickly if it hasn't already. Can you still find shot shell primers?

BetterDaniel

ATTENTION

Will trade ammo for gold or silver. Let me know what you need.

With the direction the country is going I might actually be serious about this six months from now. 😝🤬
You might wanna keep em. The bang seeds are worth more when everything goes $hit. You can't shoot gold. 😅

Andy S.

Another great article that further emphasizes the problem is demand at the consumer level. No surprise to me.

Latest posts