Ames Plantation Squirrel Hunting

redgineer

I'm thinking about joining the deer hunting club at Ames Plantation, and the included squirrel hunting is as important to me as the deer hunting. If anybody can answer a few questions I have, it would be greatly appreciated.

1: Can I bring my dog?
2: How many other people squirrel hunt? Will I have a lot of competition and pressured squirrels?
3: How large of an area can I hunt at once? I tend to cover a lot of ground while squirrel hunting, and I let my dog lead as much as possible.
4: I'm sure the answer is no, but can I shoot rabbits? It will take some getting used to passing on rabbits while squirrel hunting.

fairchaser

No rabbit hunting allowed. Most of the guys who squirrel hunt hunt before rabbit season or deer season. The club is closed the last day of deer season so there's no late January or February hunting for squirrels. Not sure about using a dog. Very few hunters squirrel hunt. Virtually no pressure. I'm sure you could probably limit out in certain areas. You can walk your legs off if you want. The plantation is 25 square miles.

rosemurray

My brother often hunts deer and squirrels with his friends. Many of them come with dogs, so I think that dogs are allowed in squirrel hunting. Squirrels are funny creatures, but sometimes they can damage your house. When I had a nest of red squirrels on the kitchen wall, I asked my brother what to do in that situation. He recommended me to contact a squirrel removal service because people who work there are professionals and work well. They did a great job. They removed the squirrel nest from the wall and recommended not to open the windows wide.

Last edited:

Latest posts