Ames Plantation Pics

bryan1967

I was wondering how the hunting on Ames has been this season. They usually keep their website updated with the kill pics, but nothing this year. Can anyone give an update?

pass-thru

I was just wondering the same thing. Those pics are probably one of their best recruitment tools, they should keep them up to date all season.

If I lived anywhere near Ames, I would sign up in a heart beat...truly sounds like a great program there.

bryan1967

TheLBLman":ol72mjm0 said:
Andy S.":ol72mjm0 said:
. . . . . a 147" 8 point best to date.
THAT would be a heck of a rack!
Sound like something hunters report seeing on President's Island!

Andy!
Are you saying an 8-pointer is a "better" rack than a 10-pointer? :shock:

What Andy is saying is it's the best to date, this year, according to score.

fairchaser

We are way behind last year at this time and last year was a poor year. If we are gonna have any chance to catch up, 4 or 5 good bucks must die by this weekend. The conditions are right so IF they are there, several will come in this week. The only big negative is that two of the best units will be closed until this weekend due to field trials.

Mike Belt

Units 4 and 5 will open back up Thursday unless today's rain delays that by one day. I'm curious as to what the horseback riders participating during the field trials might see. Maybe they'll stir them up a little.

Andy S.

TheLBLman":1nyrydg0 said:
Andy!
Generally speaking, in my eyes, yes that can be true. I am probably in the minority here, but the number of points means nothing to me when it comes to bucks I target.

Generally speaking, if the gross score, say 140", were to remain the same for an 8 point, a 10 point and a 12 point, I would rather kill the 8 point. I can promise you the 140" 8 point will more times than not have a better frame (width and height), longer beams, longer tines, better spread, and better mass measurements IF all of the above bucks had a gross score of 140".

Now if you want to wish for the stars, yes, I'd rather the buck have EVERYTHING including numbers of points, but that is so unrealistic in fair chase hunting, that I do not even set myself up for failure by believing a buck of that caliber will walk by me. I am not pessimistic, just realistic in the fair chase world.

Andy S.

TheLBLman":228nhcgh said:
Andy S.":228nhcgh said:
. . . . . a 147" 8 point best to date.
THAT would be a heck of a rack!
The best part about this particular, at least in my eyes, was he had about 3-4" of brow tines, so that alone should tell you how good everything else was and how great of a "frame" the deer had. If I had my rathers, I would have been fine with him losing the brows and grossing 143" as a mainframe 6 point. How many of those have you seen, much less killed, in your lifetime?

Here is the buck for reference:

2017 Kill pics:
sbHMdmZ.jpg

9qXNKjF.jpg

2017 trail cam pics:
1MkNJvf.jpg

NLwNirH.jpg

okdEOgM.jpg

2016 trail cam pic. taken in December:
zEpA5IF.jpg

Spurhunter

Andy S.":kcq4t2jq said:
TheLBLman":kcq4t2jq said:
Andy!
Generally speaking, in my eyes, yes that can be true. I am probably in the minority here, but the number of points means nothing to me when it comes to bucks I target.

Generally speaking, if the gross score, say 140", were to remain the same for an 8 point, a 10 point and a 12 point, I would rather kill the 8 point. I can promise you the 140" 8 point will more times than not have a better frame (width and height), longer beams, longer tines, better spread, and better mass measurements IF all of the above bucks had a gross score of 140"

I agree. A 140" 12 point is impressive, but a 140" 8 point is a beast.

bryan1967

You guys are way too scientific for me. I just look for the big buck or bucks and hunt them. The points and score are what they are. 150" 8 or a 160" 10...wouldn't matter to me. I'd shoot whichever gave me the opportunity.

TheLBLman

Andy S.":pigulaoc said:
bryan1967":pigulaoc said:
150" 8 or a 160" 10...wouldn't matter to me. I'd shoot whichever gave me the opportunity.
Me too, and both would be a buck of a lifetime for TN.
UNLESS . . . . . You were hunting on the President's Island WMA.
In that case, the 150" 8-pointer would be illegal because of their minimum of 9 points rule,
and you might hesitate on the 10-pointer since it can be challenging to quickly ascertain there are in fact 9 or more points over an inch long.

For me and many, it's much easier to quickly ascertain a buck is "mature" and a "monster" than to count the number of points (at least quickly). Then often, that 9th point observed can be questionably an inch long, or not. There's a big difference in having a few seconds of fleeting opportunity in the field vs. meticulously studying trail cam pictures. It is much for this reason that premiere trophy managed properties (such as Ames) do not have any "number of points" antler restrictions, such as "9 points", as well as such rules lead to antler high-grading and disallow many mature bucks from harvest.

I am not saying a 9-point antler restriction has no merit.
Just saying there should be multiple criteria (such as at Ames) when and if it is used.
A mature 8-pointer should never be illegal for harvest when younger, even 2 1/2-yr-old 9-pointers are legal.

Guess it just comes down to how do you define a trophy buck?

Is it more about the number of points, or the size of the rack?
Does it have anything to do with age?

2 1/2-yr-old 10-pointer vs. 5 1/2-yr-old 8-pointer?
Which typically makes the most sense to kill from both deer management and hunter satisfaction?

SJS

bryan1967":1304svv5 said:
You guys are way too scientific for me. I just look for the big buck or bucks and hunt them. The points and score are what they are. 150" 8 or a 160" 10...wouldn't matter to me. I'd shoot whichever gave me the opportunity.

Here, here!!!

Latest posts