Alpha-gal allergy caused by ticks

Setterman

Y'all are going to find this strange but several years ago I suddenly was unable to eat pork or beef without a severe allergic reaction every time. These reactions were sometimes life threatening and consisted of the usual symptoms associated with food allergies.

I have been to every allergist in knoxville trying to figure this out and have never solved the mystery until recently

It appears I contracted something known as alpha gal from a tick bite which causes me to be allergic to most mamal flesh.

There is a new article where celeb huntress Brenda Valentine describes her battle with the same thing.

My point is be careful this spring and spray up to avoid possibly contracting this crap

Gravey

A buddy was telling me the other day about something very similar caused from ticks that another friend of his now has. Can't think of the word but it starts with an m. Mamalia-something or other. Anyway he cannot eat any meat from an animal that nurses its young. Said he would swell up like a champ and he'd have to go to the hospital.

trealtree

My lip and jaw has been randomly swelling up for the past year.i thought It was the alpha gal allergy ,but I tested negative. But it has not swelled up since I quit eating pork.. Allergist has me on ranitidine and fenofexadine.

Setterman

Andy S. said:
I hate to hear that Setterman, best of luck with beating it or learning to control it. I remember reading where BSK said he had it in the thread below.

http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthr ... ost3134073

More info about it can be found at this link. http://allergytomeat.wordpress.com/freq ... questions/

I didn't realize he had it, and I can assure everyone it sucks. Being from the deep south there is nothing I like more than BBQ, I could live without beef, but the pork is a killer.

I am able to eat venison with only a mild reaction however.

Again, buy the meanest tick sprays and use it.

catman529

so, do only certain people develop the allergy from tick bites, or does the tick itself transfer the allergy to anyone it bites?

BigRod

Guess that means you need to eat more trout! Did I see you with a dip net, can of corn and a five gallon bucket on the river this past weekend?

Honestly, hate to hear this about you man! I am ready to go all but, insect spray. What do you recommend as a good one?

Setterman

BigRod said:
Guess that means you need to eat more trout! Did I see you with a dip net, can of corn and a five gallon bucket on the river this past weekend?

Honestly, hate to hear this about you man! I am ready to go all but, insect spray. What do you recommend as a good one?

You all that braved the river this past weekend are meaner than me by a long shot. I spent the weekend killing pitiful pin raised quail over the dogs.

As far as sprays go, I might not be the one to ask since I am suffering because I chose not to use them for too long. However, I used some Sawyers stuff last year that contained permethrin and it worked like a charm.

I wouldn't wish this allergy crap on anyone, and urge everyone to take precautions.

catman529

Setterman said:
BigRod said:

You all that braved the river this past weekend are meaner than me by a long shot. I spent the weekend killing pitiful pin raised quail over the dogs.

As far as sprays go, I might not be the one to ask since I am suffering because I chose not to use them for too long. However, I used some Sawyers stuff last year that contained permethrin and it worked like a charm.

I wouldn't wish this allergy crap on anyone, and urge everyone to take precautions.
Sawyers is a rip off, one bottle barely treated all my stuff. I got the concentrated permethrin from TSC and mixed to get a similar strength to the sawyers (a little stronger actually) and had plenty of spray left over, and still have most of the permethrin left in the original bottle for this spring.

Andy S.

BigRod said:
...insect spray. What do you recommend as a good one?
One word - Permethrin. When it comes to ticks, Permethrin is your friend. You can buy Sawyers or Repel version in an aerosol can or pump bottle, or you can get a lot more bang for your buck by purchasing the concentrated Permethrin at Tractor supply, your local CO-OP, local feed store, etc and mixing it with water to get same concentration (0.5%) as the commercially available products. I will not turkey hunt or bow hunt in my neck of the woods without it.

woodsman87

Permethrin is the stuff. I usually get that stuff from the co-op or Tractor Supply, but I may get the concentrate this season.

I follow the directions on the can and treat my clothing the way it says. I go all turkey season and only get two or three ticks all year. It is amazing.

Latest posts