Alec Baldwin kills a cameraman on the set

PossumSlayer

Supporter
Baldwin is an azzhat, but that doesn't make him guilty simply because he was the one that fired the gun. Guns are sometimes fired directly at the camera, with shields up to prevent powder or debris from hitting the camera or crew. But not intended to stop a bullet.

Stories I see are naming Hannah Gutierrez-Reed as the armorer for the set.

There are also stories of a crew member texting "We've now had 3 accidental discharges. This is super unsafe," prior to the incident.

It appears to me everyone is trying to get their name quoted in this story.

It was someone's job, and responsibility to make sure that weapon was safe. They failed. We don't know yet who that person is.

Everyone is up in arms, but this is basic stuff. There is no reason for live ammo to even be on that set. If there was something in the barrel that a blank propelled; someone didn't do their job.

If you want to believe that every actor that's handed a prop gun on every set is responsible for doing a safety check on it; so be it. But a jury wouldn't buy that.

My WAG is that either there was something left in the barrel, or the gun was intentionally loaded with live ammo. That's going to be pretty easy to determine.

What we do at the range, or in gun handling, has nothing to do with what an actor is required to do being handed a prop gun. I'm sure some disagree.
You point and shoot without verifying?

Dbllunger

Supporter
Alec Baldwin owns the production company that hired everyone on set. If facts bear out that there was negligence, he will be held accountable either as a shooter or the company owner that hired someone unqualified for their position. His career is over regardless what happens. And now a family has to bury their daughter.

PossumSlayer

Supporter
  • Safe Direction: Keep your firearm pointed in a safe direction at all times.
  • Make Sure: Positively identify your target.
  • Always Check: Know what’s beyond your target before shooting.
  • Respect Firearms: Treat all firearms as if they are loaded.
  • Trigger Caution: Don’t touch the trigger until you’re ready to shoot.
Here are additional firearm safety rules that you should know:

• Check your barrel and ammunition.
  • Unload firearm when not in use.
  • Point a firearm only at something you intend to shoot.
  • Don't run, jump, or climb with a loaded firearm.
  • Store firearms and ammunition separately and safely.
  • Don't drink alcoholic beverages before or during shooting.

I wonder if Baldwin had drugs in his system?

Pilchard

Some of the responses here are pretty disgusting. A person has died as part of this and we immediately cast stones at this guy?!? It’s fine to hate him, but hate him for the right reasons and don’t celebrate such a tragic event.

I have only questions at this point. I’ll let the facts play out before I pass judgment.

batten_down

Supporter
Some of the responses here are pretty disgusting. A person has died as part of this and we immediately cast stones at this guy?!? It’s fine to hate him, but hate him for the right reasons and don’t celebrate such a tragic event.

I have only questions at this point. I’ll let the facts play out before I pass judgment.
I don’t see anyone celebrating. Can you maybe quote some the posts that are bothering you. I’ve seen this sentiment a couple times now and I’m just not seeing the celebrations. Or responses that are disgusting for that matter. Serious question.

PossumSlayer

Supporter

He aimed a gun at someone and killed them.... he’s pretty disgusting in my book.

Pilchard

He aimed a gun at someone and killed them.... he’s pretty disgusting in my book.
This rush to judgement is the same thing we get mad at when a cop kills a criminal and the left jumps to conclusions about how a good man was slain.

Yes, somebody screwed up and dbllunger pointed out the buck stops with Baldwin given he owns the production…. But I’ll let the investigation happen and facts revealed before I form an opinion.

Pilchard

I don’t see anyone celebrating. Can you maybe quote some the posts that are bothering you. I’ve seen this sentiment a couple times now and I’m just not seeing the celebrations. Or responses that are disgusting for that matter. Serious question.
Wasn’t trying to start a debate or call anyone out in particular. I just read through the thread and was saddened by the comment(s) saying “if it had to happen to someone, I’m glad it was him” or something to that effect.

batten_down

Supporter
Wasn’t trying to start a debate or call anyone out in particular. I just read through the thread and was saddened by the comment(s) saying “if it had to happen to someone, I’m glad it was him” or something to that effect.
Fair enough. I’m not seeing anything celebratory or what I would label disgusting personally. It’s a six page discussion and it’s been very reasonable, in my opinion.

Steverino

Supporter
Yes they were, however I remember reading that in the movies you're not supposed to point directly at the target. They have a way of camera angles to handle that and make it look like your aiming direct. In any event several if not more gun handling rules were not followed. Weve crucified people for accidental shootings at ranges and elsewhere, I don't think Mr Baldwin should get a pass cause he's an actor. Prayers out to the families and a speedy recovery for the one who was wounded.

DaveTN

Supporter
You point and shoot without verifying?
Absolutely. If I'm an actor on a set shooting a scene, and an armorer or Director hands me a prop gun and tells me its safe, I'm not going to pull all the rounds to make sure they are blanks and look down the barrel for obstructions. This has nothing to do with what I, or anyone else, does at the range.

But I'm not an actor, and I don't play with prop guns. So if it turns out all the other actors break down their weapons and thoroughly check them; Baldwin has a problem.

As I said, I suspect this will be criminal, but not on the part of Baldwin. Unless it turns out that he was responsible for production, made aware that the armorer wasn't safe or wasn't qualified, and he continued with her.

It appears it was either negligence (Barrel obstruction) or someone intentionally loaded that gun with a live round. The investigators already know the answers, they just haven't released that info yet.

I get it, everyone hates Baldwin, so do I. And if he has responsibility from some other role, producer, director, etc, he may be responsible. But an actor pointing a prop gun, that he has been told is safe, at someone and pulling the trigger isn't reckless and certainly isn't criminal. At least in my eyes.

DaveTN

Supporter
I remember reading that in the movies you're not supposed to point directly at the target. They have a way of camera angles to handle that and make it look like your aiming direct.
And I read that they put blast shields in front of the camera to protect the lens and the people from debris when a prop gun is fired at the camera. (I have no idea if that is true or not, as I have not seen it) If true, I'll take a WAG that the blast shield isn't designed to stop a live round. Since she was cinematographer, I'll take another WAG that she was at the camera, and he was firing at or in the direction of the camera. But we don't know….yet.

Kirk

Warrant: Baldwin was 'practicing' with gun

Just ran across this article that states "Joel stated they had Alec sitting in a pew in a church building setting, and he was practicing a cross draw. Joel said he was looking over the shoulder of Halayna, when he heard what sounded like a whip and then loud pop." The director said he vaguely remembers Hutchins' reaction. She was "complaining about her stomach and grabbing her midsection," according to the warrant.

"Joel also said Halayna began to stumble backwards and she was assisted to the ground," it said. "Joel explained that he was bleeding from his shoulder and he could see blood on Halayna."

BamaProud

Supporter

Can we hate him because his reckless actions killed someone and injured another.

DaveTN

Supporter
It would be interesting to hear from the likes of Clint Eastwood, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Keanu Reeves or Samuel L. Jackson on how the actor checks the weapon to make sure its safe, prior to using it to shoot a scene.

Trophy of the moment

• Trophy by Stephen McCoy
    Stephen shot this unique 6 point in Hickman County! This is his biggest...
    • Stephen McCoy
    • Updated:

Latest posts